Vraag
Reacties
iamkarlson

Level 1
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Ziggo cut the speed down to 100mb if you are using bridge mode and not solving it.

Hi guys, 

Is there any way to get speed above 100mbps in a bridge mode? I had an interesting conversation with support that they know that this is the case but don’t know will it be any different any time soon.

we can only provide you the speed you have right now.

That basically all I have.

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
Peter uit Amste

Level 1
  • 15Posts
  • 2Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Hi @iamkarlson ,

I have a several types of Mikrotik devices and tested them with my Ziggo connection (first 500 and now 250 Mbit download). I found out the cheaper ones (ex.hAP Lite) don't have the power to handle really fast download speeds like 500 Mbit. I also encountered a 100 Mbit limit but it turned out to be "something” in my configuration. I never found what "something” was but I removed the limitation with a fresh install after a factory reset. 

The advice I can give you is:

1. Backup your router
  2. Reconfigure with default config after factory reset
  3. Do a speedtest to test/confirm if you have full speed or not
  4. Restore your router settings from backup

Some things you can check:

1. Use fasttrack (fast-forward=yes) on your bridge
  2. Close WinBox connections or other config tooling for Mikrotik when testing
  3. Configure JUMBO frames on your LAN Ports (l2mtu=4064 mtu=4000)
  4. Check if you can copy files between LAN Ports with 1000Mbit speed. In windows explorer you should see something like copying file with 115Mb/s to validate this issue is not caused by cabling, computer network ports etc.
Hope this helps.

Bekijk in context

24 Reacties 24
DennyW

Level 17
  • 3150Posts
  • 251Oplossingen
  • 921Likes

@iamkarlson

No they don’t cut the speed when you are in bridge mode!
There's probably something wrong with your network cable or the router you connected.

iamkarlson
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hi @DennyW,

You can be surprised as well as I was but this is the case. If you’re using their combobox - you get the full speed. I’ve double-checked all the cables, routers, and other moving parts. Moreover, I contacted the support team and you can see their response in quotes. No estimates on overcoming it or better solutions than to come back to this buggy piece of crap called modem. 

efok

Level 17
  • 4014Posts
  • 219Oplossingen
  • 1594Likes

I’m running bridge mode, and a lot of people do, and I’m getting the full 250 Mbit/s I pay for. No probleem with that. Just don’t believe what the support desk apparently told you, and try to figure out where the probleem is.

Which router are you using after your modem?

First check ik your internal network speed is at 1GBit/s to start with. Second login to your modem and check up and downstream values. Third, connect a device directly to your bridged modem and check the speed, to rule out the problem is your own router.

hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes

A decrease in internet speed when in Bridge Mode is atypical, if not non-existing.
Help Desk people not always tell the truth about the more technical matters, due to lack of expertise.

It really makes sense to dig a little deeper into your problem. First of all the following.

1. what is the speed of your Ziggo subscription?
  2. what Ziggo Modem/Router do you have?
  3. what Router is connected tot the Zigge Modem/Router in Bridge?
  4. did you test the speed over a cabled connection?

In order to determine the speed of the Internet Connection an UTP cabled test is required. It should give results that match the speed Ziggo promises.
Use this test with great reputation: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

If the results are disappointing,  it is necessary to test the speed, with the cable of the testSystem directly connected to the Ziggo Modem/Router, replacing your own Router temporarily..
By doing so, you can outrule a possible problem with your own network equipment. 

iamkarlson
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hi @efok my modem is mikrotik and it supports 1gbs of course. However, combobox just don’t advertise these speeds as available. When I force to use 1gbs all the internet just stops working. I’m really happy that you’ve got 250mbs so want I. That’s why I started this topic to figure out how to get it. Apparently I contacted support about the problem and they didn’t help me. 

here’s what my mikrotik gives to the ziggo modem

And this what it receives in return:

hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes

Try another UTP Cable between Microtik and Ziggo Modem/Router. Mind that the cable must be at least cat5e. The connection is supposed to be 1 Gbps.

You might have missed my first reaction above.

iamkarlson
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

hi @hanh I’ve tried a completely new cable.

hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes

Luck or no luck?

iamkarlson
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
hanh wrote:

Luck or no luck?

apparently no. I talked to support a month ago already and nothing changed so far. I was given with information that this is a problem, it’s known but not information when it’s going to be fixed. I’ve asked for modem replacement initially and the conversation ends as above. 

DennyW

Level 17
  • 3150Posts
  • 251Oplossingen
  • 921Likes

@iamkarlson

Why let you advertise the Microtic all those speeds and mode’s. Can’t you set it so it’s only advertises 1000Mb/s full duplex? Then de Connectbox has nothing to choose. The same as you should do with little children. Don’t offer them to manny chooses.

iamkarlson
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hi @DennyW that’s exactly what I did several times and got but no link with combobox. 

DennyW

Level 17
  • 3150Posts
  • 251Oplossingen
  • 921Likes

Hi @iamkarlson ,
What speed do you get when you only connect a PC to the Ziggo-modem, instead of the Microtic? You’ve have to reboot the modem for this.
Did you’ve already checked the cable?

Ziggo ‘s speed test is unreliable; use the one hahh suggested  instead.  

efok

Level 17
  • 4014Posts
  • 219Oplossingen
  • 1594Likes
iamkarlson wrote:

Hi @efok my modem is mikrotik and it supports 1gbs of course. However, combobox just don’t advertise these speeds as available. When I force to use 1gbs all the internet just stops working. I’m really happy that you’ve got 250mbs so want I. That’s why I started this topic to figure out how to get it. Apparently I contacted support about the problem and they didn’t help me. 

here’s what my mikrotik gives to the ziggo modem

And this what it receives in return:

@iamkarlson Allright. I think you mean to say your modem is a Connectbox, and your own router is mikrotik. Right? The connectbox comes in two flavours, a Compal, or an Arris box. Which one do you have? What is the model of your mikrotik (good stuff!)

You are not the first one running info this kind of trouble, see this topic: 

https://community.ziggo.nl/internetverbinding-102/maximale-downloadsnelheid-van-100-mbps-met-mikroti...

Unfortunately there is no sulotiun mentioned in this topic, so I’m tagging @Gusto , he has a mikrotik router himself, hope he can help you out.

ArChie.DVB

Level 1
  • 1306Posts
  • 19Oplossingen
  • 552Likes

Have you tried using another LAN port on the Connectbox to connect your Mikrotik router? I have read somewhere on this forum that some modems have more than one active LAN port when in brigde mode.

Gusto

Level 7
  • 1490Posts
  • 34Oplossingen
  • 147Likes

Hello @iamkarlson ,

what Mikrotik you have?

and what version RouterOS + firmware?

Gusto

Level 7
  • 1490Posts
  • 34Oplossingen
  • 147Likes

RouterOS version:

system → packages:

firmware:

system → routerboard:

Gusto

Level 7
  • 1490Posts
  • 34Oplossingen
  • 147Likes
  1. Ziggo don’t cut speed on brideged mode.
  2. Mikrotik don’t make modems.
  3. answer my questions.
  4. then we can solve your problems.
iamkarlson
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hi @Gusto 

1. Until they can provide me with my tarif speed this statement is not true. 
  2. That’s great news but nothing changes.
  3. I’ve upgraded everything just now but it doesn’t help. All the packages versions are 6.46 as well as routerboard. In addition to old advertised modes added fancy 2.5G which apparently also not supported by ziggo modem.
  4. I understand that you’re willing for help but it sounds like I’m in debt for you. Please do not dictate. I came here for conversation and not for finger-pointing like you trying to do. 

Thanks! 

Gusto

Level 7
  • 1490Posts
  • 34Oplossingen
  • 147Likes

Good luck.

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic