Vraag
Reacties
minhtt159

Level 2
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Ziggo Internet Connection - Can ping but not anything else

Hi everybody, I'm a new member of Ziggo community.

I had my Ziggo internet for 2 weeks, and besides the great internet bandwidth, my experience can not be worse.

I live in Amsterdam, and I register for the 1Gbps contract, which is the best option. I received the modem and plug it into the wall port - the only coaxial port in my apartment, and I have the connection out of the box with little configuration. I haven't configured anything special, just changing the wifi password and disabling WPS.

The bandwidth is never near the advertised number, max 600Mb when testing via speedtest.net, and average of 100Mb when watching Netflix and other services. I also tried to plug the cable directly into the wall, not through a splitter like the manual said, but it's not the case here.

For the last 2 weeks, I've encountered lots of sudden drops in internet connection.

• I've checked the network logs, which do not give me any information.
  • I've checked the downstream channel information, seems good
    • Power from -10 ~ -20 dBmV 
    • RxMER from 20 ~ 40 dB
  • Ping to DNS server is okay, 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8
  • Connection from wireless device and wired device to Ziggo router is fine.

But normal TCP/HTTP connection to the outside world is dead. I have to manually reboot many times a day which is frustrating. It happens just now when I'm trying to write this post.
How can I fix this problem? Please help!

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31053Posts
  • 2178Oplossingen
  • 15499Likes

Tx power is completely maxed out (should be ~40 dBmV), this definitely requires a technician appointment. A total of six TDMA channels must be locked in former UPC areas such as Amsterdam. (UPC used to be the provider at your location before merging with Ziggo in 2015.)

Bekijk in context

Uitgelicht
Erik S
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2262Reacties
  • 356Oplossingen
  • 545Likes

Hi there @minhtt159! It has been some time now and I am very curious how things are working out. Are you still experiencing issues? If so, please schedule an appointment with the installing engineer through ziggo.nl/afspraakmaken. You are entitled to this as a new customer 🙂

Will you keep us posted? Thanks in advance! 

13 Reacties 13
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31053Posts
  • 2178Oplossingen
  • 15499Likes

Overall downstream signal strength and quality are downright terrible. Power and MER values are very low and CER values (FEC errors) are very high on both the SC-QAM (ED 3.0) channels and OFDM (D 3.1) channel.

The internet connection being as slow and unstable as it is, is completely explicable.

Could you post a picture of the AOP (main outlet in meter cupboard or living room) and cable?

minhtt159
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Here you go. There is no outlet in the meter cupboard, which is weird, but I don't really know since my apartment is a rental

Tjeerd85

Level 13
  • 795Posts
  • 74Oplossingen
  • 446Likes

Are you sure this is the first point where the coaxial cable comes in to your house? normally the first cable is green.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31053Posts
  • 2178Oplossingen
  • 15499Likes

In pre-1990s houses/apartments, the AOP used to be installed in the living room, with no outlet being present in the meter cupboard.

This is an outdated, loop-through TV/R outlet with improperly terminated cables, which fully explains the terrible signal. Loop-through outlets are no longer to be used in modern coax setups because of the high attenuation (signal loss) they introduce.

Because no outdoor cable (usually green) is present within the outlet, either the AOP (main outlet) is located elsewhere (downstairs, near the entrance or meter cupboard) or the outdoor cable has been extended with indoor cable, which may also be responsible for the signal problems. In any case, another outlet must be present upstairs and/or in another room, which connects to the outlet in the picture.

minhtt159
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Yes, our building is pre-1990s. Also, my apartment is newly renovated; I can try to plug into the TV/R outlet near my TV to see if it helps.

Also, the router just showed new logs. I don't understand much, please help

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31053Posts
  • 2178Oplossingen
  • 15499Likes

You may ignore the log for now, currently it provides nothing but further indications of the terrible downstream signal.

If this in fact the AOP outlet, i.e. no other outlet with a different incoming cable type/color is present inside the apartment, it will have to be replaced with a modern type (btv 01-SET). This type is single input + single output, which means the outgoing cable to other outlet is going to be disconnected. This other outlet will have to be connected by means of a splitter to the AOP outlet.

Is the other TV/R outlet you mentioned located in the living room as well? Could you post a picture of its internals?

minhtt159
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

I just spent 30 mins to reroute my cables.
The other outlet only has 1 port (the left one). I think it's similar to the modern type you mention. Also, here is the downstream signal when I use that port. Is this acceptable?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31053Posts
  • 2178Oplossingen
  • 15499Likes

Downstream signal remains non-optimal (low power levels + 8 dBmV slope, acceptable MER levels), but this is a major improvement over the previous situation. This should provide sufficiently stable/fast internet connectivity, albeit definitely not perfect. Power should be at least -3.5 dBmV at the AOP, OFDM profile modulation should be 4096-QAM. Ideally this should be verified by a technician.

Could you post a picture of the outlet?

I do wonder where the cables to/from the other outlet are connected to, it is likely a completely separate connection all the way to the EV ('eindversterker' = final amplifier) cabinet inside the building or on the street. In any case, the other outlet is completely unsuitable for digital TV or internet as-is.

minhtt159
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Sorry for the late response, and thank you very much for the support. The network has been stable for 1 hour now and I will update the situation.

The outlet is behind the removable brick panel so it will take some time to remove it, I will do it tomorrow, or when the internet goes down again.

Would you suggest that I book the appointment with the technician to figure out the optimal connector for it?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31053Posts
  • 2178Oplossingen
  • 15499Likes

Posting a picture of the outlet is not strictly necessary.

Since you have subscribed to Internet Giga and are using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, the btv 01-SET is the only approved living room AOP outlet. Other outlet types featuring a single output, such as the TRAS-1000 or DIO-01 (these are still common, you may look up these types to see what they look like) are outdated and would need to be replaced in this case. Would you be able to verify this?

Also, could you post the upstream table?

If the modem is currently connected directly to the outlet, without a splitter, the power levels are too low and a technician appointment would be recommended. If a splitter is in use, the power levels are still on the low side but just about acceptable.

minhtt159
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Wow, it's midnight already, thank you a lot for your information

And of course, I won't use the splitter, the modem is the only device that use this port

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31053Posts
  • 2178Oplossingen
  • 15499Likes

Tx power is completely maxed out (should be ~40 dBmV), this definitely requires a technician appointment. A total of six TDMA channels must be locked in former UPC areas such as Amsterdam. (UPC used to be the provider at your location before merging with Ziggo in 2015.)

Erik S
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2262Posts
  • 356Oplossingen
  • 545Likes

Hi there @minhtt159! It has been some time now and I am very curious how things are working out. Are you still experiencing issues? If so, please schedule an appointment with the installing engineer through ziggo.nl/afspraakmaken. You are entitled to this as a new customer 🙂

Will you keep us posted? Thanks in advance! 

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic