Vraag
Reacties
KareemAlSaudi

Level 2
  • 17Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Weird internet speed/latency issues?

So I'm having a bit of a strange issue and I've predominantly noticed it on my mobile phone while using Wi-Fi. The issue is, for example, when I open up certain applications such as the PostNL app or MyDHL or Instagram then it takes FOREVER to load content and sometimes it just doesn't refresh or load at all. When I switch to mobile data this issue goes away completely and everything is smooth and buttery quick. Watching YouTube videos, Twitch, download speeds and everything else works a-okay.

This issue started about a week ago, since then I've completely reset my router to factory settings, and changed the Wi-Fi password but it still doesn't work as expected. Anybody here faced a similar issue and managed to get it resolved?

32 Reacties 32
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

The meter cupboard contains the fuse box and electric meter. In properties built after ~1990, the AOP (main coax outlet or demarc) is located inside this cupboard, while the AOP is located in the living room in older properties. The cable terminated to the AOP is usually green in color. You could unscrew the outlet's cover plate to verify the cable color.

The other output was meant for analog radio and is no longer active.

KareemAlSaudi
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 17Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Found it!

20220709_155114.jpg

Does this help?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Yes, this outlet is the AOP. If possible, the modem should be moved to the meter cupboard and connected directly to the AOP.

os

Level 6
  • 129Posts
  • 8Oplossingen
  • 60Likes

@tobiastheebe My IP address starts with 77.248. and I have IPv4 (77.248.0.0/15) and IPv6 (2a02:a210::/28) dual stack (fUPC). Just on a side-note.

KareemAlSaudi
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 17Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Unfortunately this is not possible as the meter cupboard is quite a distance away from where I am. I'm in an apartment/studio complex and the meter is basically on the other side of the building. Putting it there is impractical. Are there any other solutions?

Also, this issue only really started a week ago. I've been using this connection for 2 months without any problems so why has it cropped up now of all times?

Edit: I also must note that my landlord has informed that the cable running from the AOP in the meter/cupboard is linked directly to this connection location in my apartment. So that should be completely fine, right?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

@os In this case Dual-Stack Lite was converted to IPv4 Only (router mode). Both IPv4 Only and Full Dual-Stack utilize the same IPv4 subnets.

Even though the modem is not strictly connected in the recommended way, the DS/US power and DS MER levels are nearly perfect. The problems must be caused by something else.

Could you run a traceroute to an affected site, by any chance? This might reveal more information.

KareemAlSaudi
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 17Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

@tobiastheebe 

When I perform a traceroute via my phone (connected via Wi-Fi) I get this:Screenshot_20220709-173308_PingTools.jpg

On my computer (connected via Ethernet) I get this:

1.PNG

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Apparently, IPv6 is still active. I requested Dual-Stack Lite to be converted to IPv4 Only, but it was in fact converted to Full Dual-Stack. IPv6 appears to be causing problems, while IPv4 works correctly. However, you made a typo on the PC traceroute.

You could set the DHCPv6 server operation mode to stateful, this occasionally resolves IPv6 connectivity problems. To do this, log in to the SmartWifi modem's web interface, go to the Advanced settings, DHCP page and select the Stateful option for the DHCPv6 server. Finally, disconnect and reconnect the phone to the Wi-Fi SSID.

KareemAlSaudi
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 17Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Just noticed the typo, my bad! I did run it again and it worked successfuly on my computer.

Switching it to 'stateful' seems to have fixed it (I hope?):

Screenshot_20220709-174800_PingTools.jpg

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

It appears that setting the DHCPv6 operation mode to stateful caused the phone to revert to IPv4 internet connectivity, which is not an issue per se.

Could you verify that internet connectivity is now restored i.e. apps are now able to load/refresh content rapidly?

KareemAlSaudi
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 17Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Yep, for the moment it seems that app functionality on my phone and smart TV has gone back to normal! For the future, is there anything we should or could do to maintain that this does not happen again? Do I need to ask @Krista or another Ziggo employee to revert the changes to DS-LITE we made earlier? I'm just asking as I'm unsure as to whether I can solely rely on my phone sticking to IPv4 internet connectivity as this issue seemingly came out of nowhere.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Full Dual-Stack is more reliable than Dual-Stack Lite since the IPv4 address is not shared with a large number of other customers. IPv4-only connectivity should not cause any problems.

KareemAlSaudi
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 17Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hmm alright, in that case, I will close this post for now. Hopefully the issue doesn't come up again. Thanks again for all of your help! 😁

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic