dbt

Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Very slow internet

Apologies for my use of English, I am new to the Netherlands.  We are getting max speeds of 1 mb/s upload and download with Ziggo's speedtest.  We are supposed to be getting gigabit speeds.  The Ziggo mechanic who helped us with the install yesterday (we couldn't get it working ourselves) mentioned that the line to our house had been disconnected at the amplifier, so I was wondering if something needed to be done at the amplifier or upstream to get us better speed?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Oplossingen

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Unfortunately, a factory reset will not have any effect on the (configuration within the) boot file obtained from the CMTS. The boot file must be reprovisioned with the correct service flow traffic rates.

I have notified the moderators.

Bekijk in context

Paul
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 19178Posts
  • 1373Oplossingen
  • 7279Likes

Goodmorning @dbt,

I am very sorry that the problem with the internetspeed still persists! I've reprovisioned the modembootfile. This should fix the problem with the low (standard voip) internetspeed. Within now and 2 hours the modem will restart. Please let us know if the problem has been resolved after the reprovisioning. 

Bekijk in context

24 Reacties 24
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

The modem might have 1 Mbps service flows configured by the boot file.

Could you post the modem’s downstream/upstream/configuration data according to these instructions?

Monica
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 772Posts
  • 154Oplossingen
  • 262Likes

Hi @dbt, welcome to the Netherlands and at Ziggo! I've checked the details in your account and can see there was a problem with the incoming cable. The technician from yesterday thought he fixed this, but unfortunately it seems that that's not the case. I also saw that a new technician has already been planned for tomorrow in the afternoon. I'm hoping this technician will be able to solve the problems with the incoming cable and your current speed. Will you keep us posted? 

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

screen shots attached.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

As expected, service flows with a 1.07 Mbps max. traffic rate have been configured, these are responsible for the low download and upload speeds. This will still need to be corrected by Ziggo within the backend.

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

OK, so an update.  The mechanic came out again yesterday and said that, after talking with Ziggo, that my modem and tv had not been registered on my account.  He said that that had now been taken care of and that it would take about 24 hours to see a difference in speed (he also said they are told to say 48 hours but that it is often quicker than that).  It is now more than 24 hours later.  I have factory reset my router and I am still seeing speeds no better than 1 mbps upload and download.  I'm getting frustrated that this seems so hard to resolve.  What are my other options to try.  Thanks so much for your help.

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

And the configuration file still looks the same as I uploaded previously (after the factory reset).

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Unfortunately, a factory reset will not have any effect on the (configuration within the) boot file obtained from the CMTS. The boot file must be reprovisioned with the correct service flow traffic rates.

I have notified the moderators.

Paul
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 19178Posts
  • 1373Oplossingen
  • 7279Likes

Goodmorning @dbt,

I am very sorry that the problem with the internetspeed still persists! I've reprovisioned the modembootfile. This should fix the problem with the low (standard voip) internetspeed. Within now and 2 hours the modem will restart. Please let us know if the problem has been resolved after the reprovisioning. 

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

A further update.  Now that the CMTS has provisioned the boot file  (thanks so much to Tobiastheebe and Paul), the internet is working really well!  Now, I'm having difficulty with the mediabox Next.  It installs correctly downloads updates, and the streaming services all work well (with an Ethernet connection).  But, none of the channels work.  Every channel gives me a CS2004 error and says "Channel failed."  Could a similar thing need to be done for our television service as needed to be done for the modem or are they entirely different processes.  Thanks to all of you so much for your help thus far.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Glad to read that the correct internet service flow traffic rates are now in use.

As for the Mediabox Next, it utilizes the internet connection as provided by the modem's eRouter for all functions except linear TV, no separate service flows required.

Either a signal problem is still occurring, or the Mediabox Next has not been (properly) activated yet. I am suspecting the latter.

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

What you're saying makes complete sense and I agree that it is most likely that the Mediabox Next has not been properly activated yet.  Is this something that Paul or another moderator could help with or something that Ziggo needs to do on their end or is it something that should happen on mine?   Again, tobiastheebe I very much appreciate your help; you have been spot on the entire time.

MR_CHIP

Level 19
  • 11498Posts
  • 131Oplossingen
  • 3968Likes

do you have the next properly connected to coax ?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

I have just notified the moderators, you may expect a reply within 24 hours.

@MR_CHIP I assumed the technician would have verified this, but it might be that simple indeed.

Madelon
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 996Posts
  • 122Oplossingen
  • 418Likes

Hi @dbt

How annoying that you are still facing these problems, when I read through everything i see that my colleagues have correctly activated everything in the systems. I'm afraid we'll have to schedule another visit with the mechanic to sort everything out.
Maybe it really is not properly connected to coax? Have you checked this?

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

I believe that I do.  Blue ended part of the coax connected to the Next and the green labelled end connected into the wall.  Both as firmly as I can without breaking anything.

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

As I mentioned in a reply above, I believe that it is properly connected.  Is there any way to test this?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Could you post a picture of the diagnostics screen? Press the Home key on the remote control and select the Settings, Network, Diagnostics options in order.

dbt
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 11Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Ok, I think we can call this one solved.  I took the Mediabox next and plugged it directly into the splitter in my wire closet and the television stations came up fine.  Either there is a fault in the wiring between the splitter and the wall in my living room, or I need an amplifier.  I've gone ahead and ordered one, but clearly the fault is not on Ziggo's side this time.  Thanks all for your help!

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31064Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Installing an amplifier may not be the best solution. The living room outlet could be a loop-through type with high attenuation, resulting in low downstream power levels. Could you post a picture of the outlet with the front cover removed?

Uitgelicht topic