jjhmz

Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

SmartWifi modem blinks red

I got my SmartWifi modem and plugged it in but it is blinking red. Ziggo troubleshooting said to check the connection, I've fixed the connection (coaxial cable wasn't plugged in properly) and reset the modem but it's still blinking red. To be precise, when it first starts up, the LED light is white, then it starts blinking slowly, then it turns red and blinks faster. Anyone run into this problem before?

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

As expected, the modem fails to lock downstream channels during the scanning phase.

Is this the only coax outlet inside the property, no coax cable and/or outlet visible inside the meter cupboard? The white cable coming into the outlet indicates that either the AOP (main outlet) must be located elsewhere, or the main cable has been extended.

A technician appointment is likely required to (re)connect the cable to the EV (final amplifier) multitap on the street.

Bekijk in context

18 Reacties 18
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Assuming you are using the black SmartWifi modem (Sagemcom F3896LG-ZG), a blinking red status LED directly after the initial modem startup procedure, indicates a (downstream) signal problem.

Could you post one or more pictures of the AOP (main outlet in meter cupboard or living room) and cables, plus splitter(s) and signal amplifier, as applicable?

Additionally, could you log in to the modem's web interface at 192.168.178.1 and copy the data displayed on the Downstream, Upstream and Configuration tabs on the Advanced settings, Tools, Network status page?

jjhmz
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Thanks for the speedy response! Below are the pictures:

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 17.06.09.pngScreenshot 2022-11-28 at 17.05.59.pngScreenshot 2022-11-28 at 17.05.51.png2022-11-28 16.06.55.jpg2022-11-28 16.07.01.jpg2022-11-28 16.07.04.jpg

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

As expected, the modem fails to lock downstream channels during the scanning phase.

Is this the only coax outlet inside the property, no coax cable and/or outlet visible inside the meter cupboard? The white cable coming into the outlet indicates that either the AOP (main outlet) must be located elsewhere, or the main cable has been extended.

A technician appointment is likely required to (re)connect the cable to the EV (final amplifier) multitap on the street.

Rikst
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5181Posts
  • 488Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

Hi @jjhmz

I am sorry to heat you have some issues with getting online. Were you able to bring the modem online? And did you find any main connectionpoint in the cupboard? 

jjhmz
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Thanks! I have not found any other outlet as yet. I am contacting my landlord to find out more.

jjhmz
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hi @Rikst, I have not found the main connection point and the modem is still offline. 

Rikst
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5181Posts
  • 488Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

Thanks for your update, @jjhmz. I hope your landlord will be able to tell you more. Do you want me to book a mechanic for you? 

jjhmz
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

I found the main outlet thanks to my landlord, it seems to work now but I have forgotten my password to login to the modem's web interface. Is there a way to reset the password?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Glad to read that. If the 8-digit password is not accepted, you will have to reset the modem to factory defaults. To do so, press and hold the RESET button for 10~15 seconds.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

For optimal operation of a DOCSIS 3.1 modem such as the F3896LG-ZG, the AOP must be up-to-date. Approximately 6 different types are acceptable. You may post a picture of the AOP, this allows us to determine whether a technician appointment is desirable.

jjhmz
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

I managed to reset the password, thanks!

Here is a picture of the outlet: 

2022-12-05 16.19.40.jpg

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

The outlet appears to be a btv 01-SET, which is up-to-date and DOCSIS 3.1 capable. Ideally, a termination resistor should be installed on the unused TV output.

For a final verification, you may post the downstream/upstream values once again.

jjhmz
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

That's great! How do I install a termination resistor on the TV output?

Here are the downstream and upstream values:

downstream.pngupstream.png

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Downstream exhibits 4G and 5G ingress on channels 23-27, which may be caused by the splitter's unused TV output. An IEC female termination resistor (TIF-75) can be installed directly on this output. Upstream transmit power is quite high, but acceptable.

jjhmz
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 8Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

I see, many thanks!!

Yankiis

Level 1
  • 1Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Can u book a mechanic for me cuz i have same problem but i think problem is with internet cable not the device 

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

@Yankiis

• Could you post one or more pictures of the main coax outlet ('AOP') inside the meter cupboard or living room, including any splitter(s) and/or signal amplifier ('versterker')?
  • Additionally, could you log in to the modem's web interface at 192.168.178.1 or 192.168.100.1 and post the data displayed on the Advanced settings → Tools → Network status page tabs?
Jacob
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 4139Posts
  • 338Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

@Yankiis  Welcome here and thank you for posting what is going on. We would like to take a look together, because you naturally want your connection to function properly again as quickly as possible.

Are the tips above helpful to you? And would you like to carry out these steps?

Uitgelicht topic