Reacties
DCUpro

Level 2
  • 3Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Setting up Cisco rv215w to be main router behind Connectbox

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a bit dumb but I'm a bit of a novice at this and was wondering if someone could help me understand how this should be configured.

I need to setup a VPN connection and the Giga Connectbox doesn't support this. I have a Cisco rv215w that I would like to use as my main router so that I can accomplish this. 

I have put my Giga Connectbox in 'Modem Mode' i.e bridge mode and connected LAN 1 on the Connectbox to the WAN port on the Cisco router

However I'm unsure what my WAN settings should be on the Cisco router. Should they be the same as what the Connectbox was using or should they be just in the same subnet of the Connectbox i.e

IP Address: 192.168.178.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.178.1

My LAN on the Cisco router is: 192.168.2.1/24

Can anyone share with me some details of what way I should have configured the second router while the Connectbox is in Bridge mode?

Oplossingen

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

The WAN interface of your router must be set to DHCP (no VLAN/PPP). Your router will then receive a public IPv4 address directly from Ziggo's DHCP server. Ziggo does not (currently) offer an IPv6 PD subnet when using bridge mode.

The former assumes you're not using the 'Zakelijk Internet Pro' business subscription which uses static /29 subnets.

The CB's web interface is on 192.168.100.1 and should be reachable from within your 192.168.2.0/24 subnet, the 192.168.178.0/24 subnet no longer exists.

Bekijk in context

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

Perhaps one or two old leases are currently still active and preventing the router to request a lease. Only 2 or 3 leases can be active simultaneously. These leases are valid for 1 week.

Could you power cycle the modem, wait for the modem to come online and finally power cycle the router? This should discard the old leases and allow the router to request a lease.

Cloning the modem's MAC address to the router's WAN interface is not required.

Bekijk in context

DCUpro
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 3Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Thanks @tobiastheebe 

The power cycle and WAN setup as Automatic DHCP worked.

Appreciated the help 🤗

Bekijk in context

5 Reacties 5
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

The WAN interface of your router must be set to DHCP (no VLAN/PPP). Your router will then receive a public IPv4 address directly from Ziggo's DHCP server. Ziggo does not (currently) offer an IPv6 PD subnet when using bridge mode.

The former assumes you're not using the 'Zakelijk Internet Pro' business subscription which uses static /29 subnets.

The CB's web interface is on 192.168.100.1 and should be reachable from within your 192.168.2.0/24 subnet, the 192.168.178.0/24 subnet no longer exists.

DCUpro
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 3Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Thank you @tobiastheebe for your kind response.

I actually forgot to say that I originally choose Automatic Configuration - DHCP for the WAN connection and waited for around 10 minutes but the Cisco router just sat on the loading page and never seemed to get an IP. I reset the router after the 10 minutes but perhaps I should have waited longer.

Do you know how long it should take for the router to get assign an IP in this scenario? Also is it necessary to clone the Connectbox's MAC address to the Cisco router in order to get a connection?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

Perhaps one or two old leases are currently still active and preventing the router to request a lease. Only 2 or 3 leases can be active simultaneously. These leases are valid for 1 week.

Could you power cycle the modem, wait for the modem to come online and finally power cycle the router? This should discard the old leases and allow the router to request a lease.

Cloning the modem's MAC address to the router's WAN interface is not required.

DCUpro
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 3Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Thanks @tobiastheebe 

The power cycle and WAN setup as Automatic DHCP worked.

Appreciated the help 🤗

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

You're welcome! I'm glad to read that your router has now obtained an IP address. Do let me know if you have any further questions.

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic