Reacties
ecagiral

Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Regular router resets

Greetings,

I have been a Ziggo internet user for more than 1 year. I am happy with my internet connection other than the router (Connect Box) resets. At first, daily router resets were not a problem since it was able to reconnect to the Internet quickly. However in the last two months it takes longer and longer to reconnect. Even sometimes it is unable to connect until I reboot it to the factory settings.

Last month Ziggo technician visited my house but he just guessed that resets are due to my basic subscription (around 5 Mbps upload speed.) I knew that was not the issue but he just left my house doing nothing. 

What I see in my router logs are many of "No Ranging Response received - T3" entries. So looks like same problem with https://community.ziggo.nl/community-archief-226/many-no-ranging-response-received-t3-time-out-error...

But root-cause can not be wiring in my apartment because the internet works fine most of the time. And if the router is unable to connect to the Internet for more than 15-20 minutes, a factory reset makes it connect to the Internet again.

I don't want to call a Ziggo technician without a strong proof because it costs 50 euros and doesn't solve anything.

Here are screenshots from Connect Box dashboard;

Do you have any idea to solve my problem?

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
Henno

Level 17
  • 2620Posts
  • 79Oplossingen
  • 730Likes

@ecagiral “Do you think that my current upstream values (51dbmV) and downstream values are not enough for an healthy internet connection?”

No.

You are losing probably 3.6 dB in the splitter screwed to the plywood in the cupboard at the building entry and another 1dB in the AOP in your appartment and some 3 dB in the POA-01.

However you could gain 3.6 dB by bypassing the ESX-02 in the building entrance. From the pic the cable that goed upstairs is long enough to make it directly to the AOP there.

Bekijk in context

11 Reacties 11
Henno

Level 17
  • 2620Posts
  • 79Oplossingen
  • 730Likes

@ecagiral The modem only has 1 of at least 4 upstream channels available, and it is maxed out in terms of power (53). You have a signal problem.

Could you make a couple of photo's how the Connectbox is connected to the AOP?

ecagiral
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hey @Henno 

First two photos from my flat, and last two is from the apartment entrance;

Henno

Level 17
  • 2620Posts
  • 79Oplossingen
  • 730Likes

Really strange… 

The AOP is the original one with the UPC sticker,  where is that located?

You seem to have a new one behind the old one???

ecagiral
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Thanks for the comment.

UPC sticker one is the initial entry point at the building's entrance (I live upstairs). From that box wire goes into ECO ESI-02N box and then into my flat to braunTelecom box (I guess that since it comes from crawl space).

Do you think the box with the UPC sticker is unnecessary and maybe generates noise?

Henno

Level 17
  • 2620Posts
  • 79Oplossingen
  • 730Likes

Could you connect the modem directly to the initial entry point to see if it works there? 

ecagiral
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Sure but most of the time modem works perfectly. It just resets itself several times during the day and reconnects quickly to the Internet. Problem is that sometimes modem is unable to re-connect to the Internet quickly. Even sometimes unable to connect to the Internet until I reset to the factory settings. 

So I can wire it to the initial entry point but then I will never make sure that if wiring is problem or not. Isn't it possible to find out the root-cause from the network logs or link powers? Then I can show the evidence to the Ziggo technician in order to fix the problem.

Henno

Level 17
  • 2620Posts
  • 79Oplossingen
  • 730Likes

The root cause is that the modem tries to send data to the CMTS  to establish upstream channels but the damping for the signal is to lage to do so. That's why it only is able to get 1 channel instead of 4 or 6 and is sending at maximum power (53 dBmV) to overcome this.

To determine if it is caused by inhouse wiring it is good practice to bypass these.

ecagiral
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Wow yes it made a difference. I plugged modem directly to the first box in the building entrance

Then on the modem dashboard upstream channels were listed as below;

But interestingly upstream channel count increased from 1 to 6 even when I plugged modem to the previous box in my flat.

Maybe unplug-plug actions fixed some connection problem. I will investigate modem behavior for several days. I hope reset problem has gone now .

Thanks for replies

Henno

Level 17
  • 2620Posts
  • 79Oplossingen
  • 730Likes

@ecagiral which of the above upstream pic's is the latest? Because the top one has excellent (low) dBmV values and the bottom one is again at it maximum.

Could you also repost a list of the current downstream channels?

ecagiral
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Low dBmV values from the building entrance and high dbmV values from my apartment floor. Which indicates a wiring problem I think. And here is the current downstream values (from my apartment floor);

Do you think that my current upstream values (51dbmV) and downstream values are not enough for an healthy internet connection?

Henno

Level 17
  • 2620Posts
  • 79Oplossingen
  • 730Likes

@ecagiral “Do you think that my current upstream values (51dbmV) and downstream values are not enough for an healthy internet connection?”

No.

You are losing probably 3.6 dB in the splitter screwed to the plywood in the cupboard at the building entry and another 1dB in the AOP in your appartment and some 3 dB in the POA-01.

However you could gain 3.6 dB by bypassing the ESX-02 in the building entrance. From the pic the cable that goed upstairs is long enough to make it directly to the AOP there.

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic