Vraag
Reacties
Nicole23

Level 1
  • 12Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Problems with internet speed on IPv4 connections through IPv6 modem.

Hi there
Sorry Dutch not good.
We have been with Ziggo for over a year with no problems.
We have now been having a problem for the past 3 weeks where we have very slow download speeds from sites such as Amazon (Audible), Playstation network, Apple updates. We upgraded to the 200Mbps line last night but still have the same problem. For instance to download an Audio book from amazon that is 200MB takes 1 hour!! Streaming is also a problem, sites like Netflix run in 540p max etc.
BUT
When we do a speed test, wifi and cable, most of the time it says full speed (190 Mbps)
We have contacted the call centre several times but they can only reset the router to the original settings and tell us that there is no problem.

Even with a wired connection, any kind of file streaming or download are still slow.

Any advice?

We have tried:
• Plugging in a laptop directly with an ethernet cable (speedtest fine, all downloads still slow)
• Using Open dns and Google dns on the laptop and the ps4 (cant do it on the ziggo box) - no changes.
• Resetting the router to the original settings (twice)
• Switching the ipv6 from stateful to stateless and vice versa
• Using 5ghz with ac only.
• Using static ip addresses

Our setup hasn't changed, we haven't introduced any new devices on our network, yet all of a sudden, our internet has become unusable. Updating osx and ios takes several hours/days. Downloading a ps4 game takes 100+ hours.

Never had this kind of problem, please help.
23 Reacties 23
hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes
InternetMan9000
Hi,
This is a nice offer!
The initiative must come from Anne, when further tests are needed from your side
I'm only just a customer, like you.

Saw the Topic you refer to.
My thoughts: WTF is going on here?
So I did not react on your findings.

What Anne wrote in this Topic opened my eyes.
Be patient. It will be solved.
It's a severe problem.

Gr Han
hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes
Anne H Ziggo
Hi,
I tried to help you a bit, but now I don't think this an effective way to act.
So: I don't come back here.
Sorry. Should have known better beforehand.
Gr Han
fmeixner

Level 1
  • 4Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
Hi, I have the same problem. Just followed this thread through and have exactly the same thing. Please see my attached speed test:

Also, downloading the two files resulted in a very different download speed. (http://speedtest.xs4all.net/files/100MB.bin
https://ftp.bit.nl/speedtest/100mb.bin)

The first file was done pretty much immediately. The second file took several times longer.

The biggest problem is when downloading from steam, as some of the games there are 30-60gb large and with 250kbps it takes days to download one:

sometimes, it even fades out completely as seen in the next screenshot:

before going back to the average slow speed.

As can be seen, the download peaked at 10mbps but this is an exception. most of the time, the speed is between 200 and 500 kbps which is way slower than it should be. from what i know, steam is using ipv4.

The problem started appearing yesterday when I changed my ISP from Tele2 to Ziggo. With tele2 my connections were always stable (of course not so fast because the provided connection was 9mbps max). steam usually downloaded between 800kbps and 1,2 mbps with tele2 and never experienced these continuous fluctuations.

You may understand that i find it troubling that I change to a new provider with the promise of higher speed (and paying a much higher price!) and then the connectivity is actually worse... I would very much appreciate your help in fixing this!
Mark
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 5774Posts
  • 655Oplossingen
  • 1963Likes
Thanks for your example fmeixner!

For other interested visitors: We're collecting these examples in another topic where I will keep you posted on the investigation.

Voor andere geïnteresseerden: We verzamelen voorbeelden in een ander topic waar ik je op de hoogte houd van het onderzoek.
E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic