Dundy

Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Post RS-fouten met kabelsplitser

(Excuses voor grammaticale fouten, ik gebruik Google Translator.)

Dit is de derde keer dat ik hierover post. Ik wacht weken om een reactie te krijgen en als ik eenmaal niet binnen een week op een reactie reageer, wordt deze gearchiveerd. Dus hier is het, nog een keer!

Ik krijg Post RL-fouten met de kabelsplitter van Ziggo. Kabel komt binnen, deze is verdeeld over de tv en de modem (Connect Box).

Als ik de splitter verwijder en de inkomende kabel rechtstreeks op de router aansluit, zijn er geen of zeer weinig Post RL-fouten.

Dit werd ongeveer een jaar geleden (of langer) aan Ziggo gemeld, toen een monteur een nieuwe splitter kwam installeren (zie hieronder). Het hielp niet.

Foto's van de kabelsplitter en CB staan hieronder, ik zet de Post RL-fouten in mijn tweede bericht.

Kunt u iemand sturen om dit probleem eindelijk op te lossen?

Dank u!

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 6.46.28 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 6.46.28 PM.jpeg

66 Reacties 66
Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Het forum staat mij niet toe om de Post RS-resultaten te posten. Het vertelt me dat het bericht te lang is, als ik het opsplits in verschillende berichten, markeert het als spam (hetzelfde bericht meerdere keren verzenden).

Daarom heb ik geüpload in een Word-bestand.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

Let's continue in English. Most members of this community are sufficiently proficient in English.

The overall signal is very noisy, as indicated by both the correctable and uncorrectable errors in downstream and offset channel frequencies in the upstream.

When you disconnect the modem from the splitter and connect the modem directly to the AOP (wall outlet), the error counters will usually reset, giving you a false impression of the splitter being responsible for the noise.

Could you post the modem's logs as well (last couple of days should suffice)?

Since your setup is fully up-to-date and all devices are connected correctly, I propose we wait for a moderator to perform remote signal analysis of both your modem and other modems in your vicinity.

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

@tobiastheebe   Thank you for your reply.

I removed the splitter several days ago. Then after a few days I took a look and saw that there were smaller Pre RS errors and I believe no Post RS errors except for one. So I did wait a few days before I concluded that the splitter could be causing it.

I have attached the logs in word file again, I can see there was some sort of software (SW?) update done 16 hrs ago.

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

and attached are the stats without the splitter, I am guessing it's only for the last 16 hrs or so?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

I do not see any difference in power levels when comparing signal data with/without splitter. There should be a 4 dBmV difference, since this is the POA-01-B's attenuation. Very strange. I do see noise ingress caused by 4G uplink with the modem connected directly to the AOP.

Which splitter did you use before the POA-01-B was installed? Did the (un)correctable errors problem exist before this event?

At this time, my guess is a modem tuner problem.

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Yes, the Post RS issue were there since the day Ziggo installed the internet in the house back in October 2019.

I reported it, they sent 2-3 technicians, last one changed the slitter to this one.

Sorry, can't remember which splitter we had before the the current one (that I sent the picture of) was installed. But like I said, the Post RL errors have almost always been there.

I appreciate you taking the time to give such detailed, informative answers!

It would be great if someone from Ziggo could advise how we move ahead fixing this problem, please?

Marije
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 4558Posts
  • 643Oplossingen
  • 1723Likes

Hello @Dundy

I'm really sorry to read that even after all the attempts to fix the issue, you're still experiencing these issues! I dove right into the signal to see if there's anything I can spot that might be causing these issues. 

The signal looks really good and stable and there's nothing there that might cause the issues that you experience. So to be honest, I'm a little unsure about what is the best course of action now. Usually it'd be my advice to let an engineer take a look at things, but you've already had a few visits. I can imagine that you don't want to sign up for another unsuccesful search by one of them. I'm not entirely sure if there's anything to find in the signal. 

@tobiastheebe might be on something with the modem tuner problem. We could try a new modem. How would you feel about that? 

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Hi @Marije ,

Thanks for reaching out.

Yes, we have had a few technicians come over in 2019 and then it got a little old that no solution was provided and once Ziggo even charged me for a technician's visit! ... which charge I was able to have cancelled later but still, overall disappointing experience as a Ziggo client.

I was also told that some works are happening in area, we should check later... and I got tired of following-up.

But now, 1.5 years later it would be high time to finally fix these service issues so yes, please send a technician and see what can be done.

My CB  is set to Modem mode (so I use my own router). When a new modem is installed, I hope we won't need to wait for hours for Ziggo to change the CB mode to Modem? The first time I remember it took a while before it got switched on Ziggo's side but hopefully this won't be an issue now.

As we are working from home and uninterrupted internet service is a must during work hours, is there any chance to schedule it for any of the weekend days? Or if only Mon-Fri is possible, what's the earliest and latest time?

Thank you!

Paul
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 19170Posts
  • 1373Oplossingen
  • 7273Likes

@Dundy Thanks for your reply to the message from my colleague @Marije. Currently you rmodem is in routermode, this in combination with your own router can cause some trouble in the Network Address Translation (NAT). I can switch your modem to bridged modus, this way the modem only gives internet acces, and your modem arranges all the the advanced routerconfigurations in your homenetwork. Please let me know if you want me to change the modem to bridged mode.

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

@Paul  I do not know where you see that the CB is set to router mode? That is incorrect.

The CB is set to Modem mode (which is I think what you call bridge mode) and it has been in this mode for over a year. Here's the screenshot showing the same:

Dundy_0-1621594850713.png

Could you please advise on my questions about the possible days/timings for a visit by a technician?

Thank you.

Paul
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 19170Posts
  • 1373Oplossingen
  • 7273Likes

@Dundy I notice that you modem indeed is set to Bridged mode (Modem mode).  We can plan an technician on working days between 08:00 and 13:00 or 12:00 and 18 o'clock. Can you give me several dates on which an appointment suits you?

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

@Paul Thanks.

Could we please schedule a technician's visit for either May 26th (Wed)   or  May 27th (Thu) @ 18:00 ?

Paul
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 19170Posts
  • 1373Oplossingen
  • 7273Likes

@Dundy Thank you very much for your reply. I've planned an appointment with a technician on Wednesday the 26th of May 2021 between 08:00 and 18:00 o'clcok. In case the appointment doesn't suit you, you are able to reschedule the appointment via My Ziggo > My Details > My Technician's appointments.Don't forget toread the guidelines in regards to our Coronameasurements. This way we can keep the visit from the technician safe for everyone. Please let us know what your findings are after appointment with the technician. We wish you a great weekend!

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

I've modified it to 5PM-10PM period. Will let you know how that goes.

Thank you for the support.

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Oh, and could we please ensure that this thread doesn't get archived do to inactivity while we wait for the technicians to come visit ? I've started a number of thread before and they got archived after a week or so. Thank you! 

Jacob
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 4139Posts
  • 338Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

I get your point, @Dundy. No, we leave this topic nicely active and wait patiently for your explanation after the technician visit!

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Hi @Paul @Jacob ,

The Ziggo technician, Marwan, visited today.

1) Based on what he saw/measured, he feels the issue may be outside the apartment (possibly affecting the entire building) but said that the department  who can look into those things can only be reached until 5 PM so he couldn't reach them. He told me he would check tomorrow and will call me back.

2) He also said that sometimes TVs can send signals backwards and hence disrupt the network so he added and extra filter on the splitter that blocks the TV from sending any signals back.

He asked me to monitor it for 1-2 days and see if the additional filter he added resolves the issue. And we'll discuss the rest tomorrow 

Thank you.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31062Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15500Likes

I'm curious as to whether Ziggo has already called back about the potential infrastructure problem? How did the internet connection perform yesterday?

Regarding the return path filter: the technician is correct. There have been rare cases where faulty/old equipment injects noise bursts into the signal, causing widespread modem problems. This news article is an interesting read. As long as you're not (planning on) using a set-top box which requires a return signal (Mediabox XL), the filter can be left installed permanently.

Dundy
Topicstarter
Level 5
  • 74Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Yes, I was very happy with the technician, Marwan (hope I'm spelling his name correctly), that visited me.

He did call me back the next day as promised and gave rather detailed/informative feedback. They checked and it seems the signal strengths and all are good outside the apartment and inside the building. According to him, it means that the problem could be somewhere within the flat.

It's been 2.5 days since he's installed that return path filter (thanks for telling me that's what it's called 🙂 ), I have restarted the modem at that point and the Post RL errors have dropped significantly since then. So it seemed to have helped.

Thanks for sharing that article, will read it shortly. I have to add that my TV is a 2021 high-end model - just noting this as reference to the title of the article 'The old television that brought down the village's broadband'. Will read through the article soon...

After 2.5 days of uptime since the return path filter has been installed, as you can see in the attached Word file, there still is some Post RL errors. I'm not sure if this is a negligible amount or is this still worth looking into? Also, I see some T3 upstream timeouts.

@Paul @Jacob Thank you all in advance for your thoughts/feedback on these results!

Uitgelicht topic