Reacties
Anikdey

Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Poor internet speed

Hey,

I have a 300mbps/30mbps subscription for the last 2 weeks, but the internet speed has been very unstable. Sometimes the download speed goes even below 1mbps, same with the upload speed. I'm attaching the downstream/upstream. Please let me know what I can do to solve the issue.Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 20.11.54.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-19 at 20.11.31.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-19 at 20.11.18.png

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

The router is not using DS-Lite, which is good. Internet connectivity appears to be OK, since Wi-Fi speeds are good in vicinity of the AP. The laptop tests were likely performed on 2.4 GHz, which limits the available throughput.

I suggest moving the modem to the living room to (significantly) improve Wi-Fi coverage. After doing so, you may post the downstream/upstream data once again to determine whether the power and MER levels remain OK. Naturally, you will need to connect the white cable in the meter cupboard since this feeds the living room outlet.

Bekijk in context

27 Reacties 27
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Could you perform a speed test using ethernet (wired)? If this is not possible, could you perform the test with the device in close proximity to the SmartWifi modem?

In the previous topic you mentioned that the meter cupboard is located outside of the apartment, which may cause insufficient Wi-Fi signal strength.

If the speeds remain extremely low on ethernet and/or a (good) Wi-Fi connection, the problem might be caused by the router's internet connection. Since you are a new customer, the router might have a Dual-Stack Lite WAN configuration assigned to it, which exhibited speed and stability issues in the past. You may perform a Google search for 'my ip address' and note the first half of the address in this topic, which will allow me to determine whether DS-Lite is in use.

What are the approximate maximum download and upload speeds that you are able to achieve?

The downstream/upstream data i.e. power and MER levels are good to excellent.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes
  • Checking with the ethernet cable isn't possible right now. Tried placing the device next to the router. Indeed, the internet speed showed better result (however only on my phone, on latpop is the same)
  • Internt speed: phone next to router (around 150/28), laptop (around 12/6); in my room - Phone (10/2), laptop (4/2). It fluctuates a lot in my room, ranging download speed from 100 to below 1, upload speed from 28 to 2.
  • First half of my IP address - 84.104
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

The router is not using DS-Lite, which is good. Internet connectivity appears to be OK, since Wi-Fi speeds are good in vicinity of the AP. The laptop tests were likely performed on 2.4 GHz, which limits the available throughput.

I suggest moving the modem to the living room to (significantly) improve Wi-Fi coverage. After doing so, you may post the downstream/upstream data once again to determine whether the power and MER levels remain OK. Naturally, you will need to connect the white cable in the meter cupboard since this feeds the living room outlet.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Sorry, I didn't quite understand your last line. I tried connecting it in the living room and I had the same green light blinking issue. How can I connect the coaxial cable in the meter room and have the router in the living room?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

You will need to connect the white cable, as seen in this picture, to the AOP (main outlet).

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Thank. Now I understand, but the end of white cable looks like this- 

IMG_1232.JPG

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

That is unfortunate. An IEC female connector must be attached to this cable in order to make the living room outlet operational.

Otherwise, you could attempt to run a UTP cable (preferably Cat 6(a)) from meter cupboard to living room and connect a separate router/AP such as a TP-Link Deco M4. One or more SmartWifi pods might also provide decent coverage, these do not require any cables.

By the way, the SmartWifi modem is currently positioned on the floor. Wi-Fi coverage (and speeds + stability) might improve if you mount it to the wall, approximately 1.5 meters high, using the provided mounting bracket.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Thanks for your suggestion. First, I'll try with IEC female connector and place the router in the living room. If it doesn't help, I'll try SmartWifi Pods. Or should I go for the pods right away?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Will you be able to attach the connector? It does require some careful and precise cutting. You may also consider asking an electrician or requesting a technician appointment.

Connecting the modem to an outlet other than the AOP is not officially supported by Ziggo since sufficient signal strength and quality cannot be guaranteed. However, looking at the DS/US data with the modem connected to the AOP, it should work fine unless the cable causes major attenuation (signal loss).

Connecting an AP using ethernet is always preferred over a wireless solution.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

I think a technician appointment would be great. If there is still some issue, he/she might be able to solve it. Thanks!

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

A moderator (Ziggo employee) can schedule a technician appointment and will visit this topic within 1-2 days.

Please review this page in advance. The call-out fee is € 40 for the first half hour and € 15 for each additional 15 minutes.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Wow! Won't it be considered the first installation? As I didn't ask for free installation?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

As far as I understand, a technician has not visited you yet?

The initial set-up appointment is free of charge, however, charges may apply for additional services as described earlier. A moderator should be able to shed light on this.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Yes, right! Let's see what moderators say. Thanks for your help anyway.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

@tobiastheebe, meantime I'm getting a better speed with my phone now but still very poor speed with my laptop even when I go close to the router. Do you have any suggestion how I can improve this?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

This may be caused by 2.4 GHz interference/congestion.

Could you create separate SSIDs on the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios and connect the laptop to the 5 GHz SSID?

Also, configure the radio settings as follows:

Radio/Frequency Band Mode Channel Channel Width(s)
2.4 GHz 802.11n 1, 6 or 11 20 MHz
5 GHz 802.11n/ac Automatic 20/40/80 MHz
Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Thanks. Can I just disable 2.4 GHz. I live in a studio apartment, so coverage range wouldn't be an issue for me. Is there any other consequence?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2180Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Disabling the 2.4 GHz radio will reduce coverage significantly, especially since the AP is (currently) located in the meter cupboard.

Anikdey
Topicstarter
Level 3
  • 23Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 6Likes

Yah, I understand. I'll see how I can balance the issue. Thanks!

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic