Vraag
Reacties
SteveOnline

Level 1
  • 4Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Poor Internet connection after replacing modem

I was recently sent a new modem (SmartWifi) and had to replace my old one (Technicolor TC7200), which had been deactivated. Since switching over, the Internet connection has been very poor. It seems as though it takes a very long time to make a connection to a new website / IP address, although once a connection is established, the transfer of data is reasonably good. Each subsequent new connection takes ages to establish though.

Could a Ziggo moderator please diagnose this remotely (I understand that they can do this)?

I think that it might have something to do with IPv6. When I do an IPv6 speed test, it says that it is "Not available", but then the IPv4 speed results are reasonable (e.g., ~30 MBit/s, which I guess isn't actually that great, since I have a 300 Mbit/s package and a 60-70% strength Wifi signal). So, perhaps the browser (etc.) tries for ages to make an IPv6 connection, fails (times out), and then falls back to IPv4, which then works... ?

I see that many people on this forum are asking for IPv6 to be disabled on their modems. Perhaps that would be the best solution then (?). In any case, thanks in advance for any help!

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
Lotte
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2761Posts
  • 400Oplossingen
  • 976Likes

Hi @SteveOnline, thanks for the quick respons. I did schedule a mechanic for 01-07-2022 between 8am - 1pm. You will recieve a e-mail with the confirmation in it. If you can't be home at this time you can reschedule the appointment in Mijn Ziggo.

Bekijk in context

10 Reacties 10
Verwijderd account
Niet van toepassing

Hi @SteveOnline ,

Can you make a photo from your AOP?

DennyW

Level 17
  • 3150Posts
  • 251Oplossingen
  • 921Likes

AOP = the demarcation point

Verwijderd account
Niet van toepassing

Bedankt voor de toevoeging @DennyW !

SteveOnline
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 4Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Sure can. Nothing super exciting to see here (but what do I know?). The cable with the green band goes straight into the SmartWifi modem. I originally had a different splitter (3DSS3) on there, but then I swapped it for the one provided with the new modem (as seen in the photo), although that made no difference to the problem.

As far as I can see it, I did a clean swap of the old modem for the new one, and then the Internet connection immediately started performing poorly. Hence I suspect a problem with the new modem...

Thanks!

Verwijderd account
Niet van toepassing

Hi @SteveOnline ,

The AOP is a little bit old, but not very old.You can the old modem TC7200 reactiveren with the helpdesk(0900-1884) if you that want.The TC7200 is in my opinion a good modem.

You can also call with 0900-1884 for replacing the AOP if you want to use the smartwifi modem.

SteveOnline
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 4Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

OK, thanks; I didn't realise that calling to reactivate the old modem was a possibility. Indeed, I was perfectly happy with it (and didn't see why an 'upgrade' was necessary).

Perhaps I'll wait until next week to see if a Ziggo moderator responds. Who knows, perhaps they can connect to my new modem, see something obvious, and fix it...?

Thanks again.

Verwijderd account
Niet van toepassing

Hi @SteveOnline ,

A ziggo moderator responds in a few days.

What you could also to do is reactivated the TC7200 (it's a good modem) but also replace the AOP, then you can always upgrade to the smartwifi modem if you want.

Madelon
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 996Posts
  • 122Oplossingen
  • 418Likes

Hi @SteveOnline

Are you still experiencing problems with the internet signal? I don't see any problems in the signal logs, so I don't think turning off IPv6 will solve the problem.
If you are still experiencing the problems, it is best to schedule a technician, is that okay for you? 🙂

SteveOnline
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 4Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hi @Madelon. Thanks for your efforts. Unfortunately we are still having problems with the connection (and speed), so we would indeed appreciate a technician coming over to take a look. 

Lotte
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2761Posts
  • 400Oplossingen
  • 976Likes

Hi @SteveOnline, thanks for the quick respons. I did schedule a mechanic for 01-07-2022 between 8am - 1pm. You will recieve a e-mail with the confirmation in it. If you can't be home at this time you can reschedule the appointment in Mijn Ziggo.

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic