DarkSlice

Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

New to Ziggo and wifi boosters

Hi

A new customer to ziggo.
We are living in a long apartment, the modem (white) is at the front. So we have put the wifi boosters (x2) one in the middle and the other at the other end of the apartment.

1) Windows 10 appears to not connect to the closest wifi booster (had to unplug and plug back the booster back in, forget the network and re input the password to get faster download speed... but up is very slow). Initial Speedtest results were 5 down and 0.5 up (paying for 600 down and 40 up) but the speed is there by the modem. So has to be the wifi booster.

2) is there a way to rename ssid/ip etc of the wifi booster. yes I know I lose the the mesh, but I can reset just my closest wifibooster to know that the computer connects properly.

3) app on samsung s7 edge phone crashes a lot or complains it cannot find the modem, yet is connected to the closest wifi booster.

4) is there something else to do with the wifi booster(s) to get better performance?

5) can the modem and wifiboosters be configured to specific ip numbers? Same for regularly connected devices?

6) is english/other languages ​​going to be added to the app ?

Regards

Vince

24 Reacties 24
Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75182Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes

If it's the hexagonal pods, then you can't give the pods any other wifi name, they form 1 mesh network together with the modem's wifi.

It can take up to a few days before optimal speeds can be used.

If you have the option to connect a pod via a network cable, then that 1st pod already has a much higher speed and it helps to give the 2nd pod a higher speed.

The modem and the pods also have also a hidden WiFi connection with each other for the best possible connection and speed.

The 1st pod should be connected via WiFi within 6 meters of the modem and the 2nd also about 6 meters from the 1st.

You can connect much further by cable.

Here on a wired pod a download of 650+ Mbit/s and upload of 50+ Mbit/s on a pod that is 12 meters from the modem and 6 meters from the 1st pod a download of 300 Mbit/s and upload of 50+ Mbit/s.

Lotte
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2761Posts
  • 400Oplossingen
  • 976Likes

Hi @DarkSlice, welcome at Ziggo and the Ziggo Community! 

Everything that is new comes with some questions, so it's good you did drop them here. I do see @Bert give you some advice. Did that work out? Let's us know 🙂 

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hi

sorry for the slow response, ziggo refused to let me log in and kept doing the 15min you cannot log in.

apartment is length of the building with the modem at one end, one pod in the middle one at the other end.

Mobiles seem to pick up the pods. Computers however (windows) are defaulting to the router all the time.
For mine, I used wifiinfo.exe and get to choose which wifi pod to use, but it really cuts the speed down.
My wifes machine couldn't do this.

However, using a cat5/6 cable made all the difference and are getting close to 100% speeds (checked via wifi mobile speed on the modem vs computer hard wired to pod).

These speeds are with in the 40% in the small print (I am paying for the 600 down and 40 up and getting 400 down and 36 up).

So for now, all ok.
We did notice that one of the pods has a tendency to make a high pitch (irritating) whine. Probably normal...?

Regards

Vincent Buckner

Erik P
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 3232Posts
  • 585Oplossingen
  • 769Likes

No problem @DarkSlice, thanks for your update! The pods are there mainly there for stable and steady internet, not for fast internet. I'm glad that that's ok right now 🙂

For a lower pitch it is important that the pod hangs freely and has enough free air to continue cooling. It is also advised to have the ventilation hole of the pod pointing downwards, so that it remains as dust-free as possible.

Tips for good placement:
-Do not hang the pod behind the curtain
-Do not hang the pod too close to a stove
-Do not hang the pod in full sun
-Do not hang the pod in a closed cupboard
-Do not hang the pod near electronic devices that give off heat

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hi @Erik P 

Just to clarify, the buzzing is electrical (like the transformer in the pod) and not the fan (which seems to spin initially and turns off... 

Thank you for the tips !

Regards

Vincent Buckner

Lotte
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2761Posts
  • 400Oplossingen
  • 976Likes

Hi @DarkSlice

Thank you again for the respons. If I do understand you correctly you do hear a buzzing sound all day long? In that case we need to swap de Wifi pods. 

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hi

Not all day.. but it does buzz after a while.

Regards

Vincent Buckner

Rikst
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5181Posts
  • 488Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

Hm, that is new for me. So, does it stop automatically? Or do you un- and replug them for example to stop the sound?

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Usually buzzes until I unplug and replug it back in

Rikst
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5181Posts
  • 488Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

Okay, in that case, I would like to change the pods for you, is that okay?

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Sure, if you think it will help.

Worth a try before we go for a bigger mesh system (orbit for example)

Rikst
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5181Posts
  • 488Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

I only need your zipcode and housenumber, can you please add them in you community profile? Give me a sing once you were able to, and I will change the pods. 

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Should be there now

Jacob
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 4139Posts
  • 338Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

@DarkSlice  Very good, i'll found the adress. I'll send them to you.

This is is a set of two pieces. There's no other way, unfortunately, so you get two of them. You don't have to return that extra second pod and it won't be billed. The defective pod must be returned, the correct information will follow. Please let us know if it's fixed with the new pod! Thank you!

Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75182Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes

So you can use 3 pods for the price of 2.🙂

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Thanks!
Once it is here I will either send the defective one back after or take to a store (if that is easier?).

Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75182Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes

@DarkSlice You will be given instructions on how to return the pod free of charge, you cannot return it to a store, the pod will probably go straight to the correct department to find out what is wrong with it. 

DarkSlice
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 22Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hi

I've plugged in the new pods, put one in the kitchen area (between the central office and the router) around 6-9 meters.

Put one in the central office part of the apartment.

Replaced the faulty/noisy one in the bedroom office.

After a while they all connected (took quite some time). It was working fine.

Was.

At 10.30 this morning the router and pods dropped the internet connection completely. Refused to re-connect. I reset the router IT style (powered off, waited for a count of ten and powered on) and they took their time restarting but appears to be ok again.

As me and my wife are working from home, this almost daily dropping is fast becoming irritating and not what we are paying for. 

Is there anything else we can try... ?

Regards

Vincent

Rikst
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5181Posts
  • 488Oplossingen
  • 1663Likes

Hi @DarkSlice

Good to hear that you have received the new pods. It is no problem that it takes some time before they connect. 

But you do need a stable connection offcourse! Was your total internetconnection down, or was it just the pods that were not giving any connection?

Uitgelicht topic