Vraag
Reacties
Guillaume.B

Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Installing Connect Box

I am trying to install the modem Connect Box but have failed multiple times. The box is powered and connected directly to the socket as instructed in the installation manual. The green wifi symbol is on and the arrow light is always flashing. The power light is also green. I can connect to the modem and wifi but any web page return, access denied.

I have tried turning it on and off, checking the cables and waited for a few hours but nothing works.

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31058Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Multiple modifications would need to be performed by the building owner or person maintaining the coax setup, to allow your modem to come online. Stability and speed would likely still be non-ideal, because a modem should not be connected behind an amplifier (downstream power too high).

• The (outdated) amplifier must be replaced with a newer type which does pass the upstream signal ('retourgeschikte versterker'), such as a FRA-752X, OV-8420 or HMV 41.
  • The return path (high-pass) filter on the splitter must be removed.
  • The outdated outlet inside your apartment should be replaced with a btv 01-SET.

If the above is unfeasible, you would need to cancel the Ziggo subscription and arrange with the person responsible for your apartment to be connected to the existing LAN, allowing you to connect a router/AP of your choice inside the apartment.

Bekijk in context

9 Reacties 9
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31058Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

The modem should be connected to the main outlet (AOP = 'Abonnee Overname-Punt'). If a coax outlet is present inside the meter cupboard, that outlet is the AOP in most cases.

If you are a new customer, the AOP might not be physically connected to the EV ('eindversterker' = final amplifier) yet, or a blocking filter was installed. In that case, a technician appointment is required.

Could you post a picture of the outlet which the modem is currently connected to (this appears to be an outdated TV/R outlet) and, if applicable, a picture of the outlet inside the meter cupboard?

Additionally, could you post the modem’s downstream/upstream data according to these instructions?

Guillaume.B
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

I don't know where the AOP is. I have post the downstream data and the outlet I connected it to. There is no Upstream data in the upstream tab

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31058Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Downstream power is at critical level (must not exceed 11 dBmV) and MER is very low (should be 36~37 dBmV or higher). This confirms that the modem is receiving a signal, but it is out of usable specifications. Furthermore, the modem's upstream signal might be filtered by the outdated outlet or a(n) splitter/amplifier elsewhere inside the property.

We will need to determine whether this outlet is the AOP.

Could you post one or more pictures of the cupboard/box containing the electrical meter?

Guillaume.B
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

This the the only other outlet I found but it is for the entire building.

Thank you very much for your help

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31058Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

This picture reveals multiple reasons for the signal problems.

The signal present on the outlet inside your apartment appears to originate from the multitap connected to the GHV 30 E amplifier. This outdated amplifier is unable to pass the upstream signal from the modem. Furthermore, a return path filter (M-HPF-85) has been installed on the splitter (3DSS2), which blocks the upstream altogether. The AOP is the white outlet in the middle of the picture.

The current coax setup inside the building, behind the amplifier, is incompatible with Ziggo internet and interactive TV. Internet connectivity is currently only available behind the modem on the right of the picture (which is probably in bridge mode) or the Mikrotik router on the bottom right.

I am puzzled as to how you were able to subscribe as a customer on this address, since the AOP appears to be shared between the apartments inside the building. You should only be able to subscribe if your property contains its own AOP.

Guillaume.B
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

who should I contact about this issue?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31058Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Multiple modifications would need to be performed by the building owner or person maintaining the coax setup, to allow your modem to come online. Stability and speed would likely still be non-ideal, because a modem should not be connected behind an amplifier (downstream power too high).

• The (outdated) amplifier must be replaced with a newer type which does pass the upstream signal ('retourgeschikte versterker'), such as a FRA-752X, OV-8420 or HMV 41.
  • The return path (high-pass) filter on the splitter must be removed.
  • The outdated outlet inside your apartment should be replaced with a btv 01-SET.

If the above is unfeasible, you would need to cancel the Ziggo subscription and arrange with the person responsible for your apartment to be connected to the existing LAN, allowing you to connect a router/AP of your choice inside the apartment.

Guillaume.B
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 6Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Thank you very much

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31058Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15501Likes

Glad to help, do let us know if/when you have any further questions.

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic