friz1983

Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

I loose connection and I don't understand why

Hallo iedereen, 

ik ga proberen om in nederland te schrijven , als je mij niet begrijp ik ga ook in het engels schrijven.

Deze is mijn situatie:

ziggo modem de "Connectbox"

TP-Link Deco M4 voor wifi in de huis

computer connected met ethernet cabel direct an de connectbox

veel  smart home appliance (televisie , google nest, philips hub ecc ecc)

Soms (1/2 keer per dag en soms 1 keer elke 2 dagen) mijn internet in de computer gaat uit, (de meste keer als ik ben op youtube ) mijn connectie gaat weg en met de troubleshoot van windows in 2 minuten ben ik terug online (de fout is altijd iets met de DNS) de probleem is dat elke keer dat mijn computer heeft niet meer internet ook de wifi en de deco offline gaan en ik moet reboot alles.  

Now I try to explain in english

Every now and then I loose internet acces from my main pc (connected via cable directly to de connectibox of ziggo) in that moment I don't have any access to internet and i can't also login in de router trough 192.168.178.1 , is enough  to do the classic troubleshoot of windows and in few second i'm back online. the problem is that every time this happen also de deco M4 goes offline and the only way to restart the wifi network of the house is to reboot de deco. this it can be quite annoying because i interrupt the connection of all my smart appliance.

I tryed to give a fixed IP to my pc without success, and now I'm looking for a solution but I don't know where to search. 

Any idea? 

Thank you in advance

Dankjewel iedereen

Andrea

7 Reacties 7
friz1983
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

I can add another thing that I discover today, I can refix my connection (of the pc for the deco I have still to restart them) pulling out my ethernet cable from the pc and insert it again, I start to think that the problem is my pc.. but I cannnot understand how it can **bleep**up the rest of the connected devices...

this is the schema

connectibox --cable--- pc

\---cable--- deco M4 main ---cable-- philips hue

\---wireless-- deco M4

\  --- wirelss -- deco M4

Meindert
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 1437Posts
  • 217Oplossingen
  • 585Likes

Hello @friz1983 , I`m sorry to read that you experience these problems with your internet connection. 
Thank you for posting this issue in our Community, so that our Community members can help you with this. 

I understand that you experience this problem with multiple devices? 

Our superusers @Dave!  and @Bert are are very experienced with these situaties. They can certainly help you with this.

Dave!

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 23614Posts
  • 1050Oplossingen
  • 7505Likes

@friz1983  Maybe you can read or translate this topic via Google, I myself also have the TP-Link Deco's M4 and this topic has also been completely written out by a user with step-by-step plan. Hopefully you can do something with this otherwise we'll try it in a different way.

Als je meer wilt weten over de TP-Link Deco M4 dan kan je ook deze Leidraad lezen.
Leidraad voor TP Link DECO

I have Translate this topic for you

Guideline for TP-Link DECO

1 – This guideline (v3) is made for De Deco M4, but often also applies to other types of Deco's. The reason for this guideline is to give all owners of a Deco set some insight into how the set can best be placed and how to connect it. In order to avoid 'beginner' mistakes, after all, not everyone is technical.

The M4 is a basic mesh WiFi set, for little money. Which works fine for normal users and for standard things such as surfing the internet/reading mail/browsing and watching movies. For heavier use (many and/or heavy downloads and/or a lot of users at the same time), other, more expensive sets may be better.

If the Deco M4 set is fully wired, the set performs well. Because then ao the interconnection between the stations BackH(calledaul)on the network and thus has the best / fastest / most stable connection.

The weak point of the set is when the stations are interconnected with WiFi. Because this set does not have a separate BH for WiFi to interconnect the stations, but uses part of the user's bandwidth for this. As a result, the bandwidth for the user is halved, so that the maximum achievable data throughput is also halved. Whether you notice the halving of the data throughput depends, among other things, on how busy it is in the Deco 'line'. If there is hardly any data about this, you will probably not notice it at all. If it is very busy, it will be more noticeable.

If you intend to connect this set to each other using WiFi and if you often want to do heavy downloads via that connection, then that could be a reason to consider connecting the set completely wired or to buy a more expensive set . .

The MESH function in the set prevents you from havingmanually every time to switchyou walk around the house with your smartphone ( /tablet/laptop/.. ). The function ensures that your smartphone is always automatically connected to the strongest Deco station.

If your house is very large and you have too few WiFi stations, you can simply add separate/extra Deco stations to your network.

2 - Design: The first station Deco always using a network cable connected to the ZIggo Modem/Router, but that does not apply to other stations. How these can/should be connected depends on the mode in which the Deco set is set.

The ZMR can be in router or bridge mode. By default, the ZMR in router mode and then the Deco AccessPoint- (or for use in advanced router) mode. If the ZMR is in bridge mode (advanced use) and the Deco set is connected directly to the ZMR, then the Deco set must be in router mode.

By the way: if the ZMR is in bridge mode, only 1 network port on the ZMR is active and IPv6 is disabled.

It is best to connect stations 2 and 3 completely wired, of course, because this gives the best/stable/fastest BH, which in turn gives you the fastest data throughput. A mix of wired and Wi-Fi is also possible, but with the aforementioned limitation (see point 1).

If you don't see the option to connect stations 2 and 3 wired, if you find that too difficult or not necessary, you can in fact continue reading "4 Placement of the stations", but then you will also miss the information below.

If you can connect stations 2 and/or 3 wired, the connection options are determined by which mode the Deco set is in.

If the Deco set is in router mode, all Deco stations must be connected in one line behind the first Deco (= main/master) from a network point of view. See example 1.

If the Deco set is in AP mode, everything is much easier. The Deco stations are now in fact separate WiFi stations, which together form one mesh network. You can now wire/connect the stations as you wish. For example, you can also connect all stations parallel to the network ports of the ZMR or via an extra switch or a mix of both, see example 2.

In AP mode all router functions are disabled, the only limiting function that is still present is the 'Black list'. Furthermore, everything that is received is/should/should be sent 100% transparently.

TP-link assumes in all its documentation/examples/FAQs that the set is used in router and AP mode is only discussed as an option present. Because all examples and answers are viewed/given from that point of view, a question about AP mode will often be answered negatively. If it is not in the documentation and the helpdesk employee does not know it himself, the answer is of course always: '…not possible…'.

Update 5 Jan. 2021: Connecting theparallel to an Arris Decos inZMR does not seem to work. A comment by Ziggo mod Mark shows that Ziggo has things checked out by Arris. If you have an Arris ZMR, you must connect the Decos according to example 1. Please continue reading.

3 - Cabling: Do you use at least cat5e for network cables, better is cat6 or higher, these are almost as cheap these days. If you are going to lay cables with a view to the future, there are also network cables with extra shielding for sale. That extra shielding costs only a few euros extra and that is always a good investment in my opinion. Take a look here at what types of cables there are.

Many houses have a 'tube' that runs from the bottom up (for gas, drinking water and drainage, among other things) or an unused chimney. Both are ideal for laying network cables through/along. It is also sometimes possible to lay a network cable through a floor terminal of a central heating pipe, so that you can easily go to another floor.

Someone on this forum even connected a Deco station via a powerline connection.

4 - Placing the stations: If you connect the stations using network cables, use that cable length to place the stations as centrally as possible in the house/room.

As mentioned, the first Deco station (= the master) must always be connected using a network cable, but the network cable supplied by TP-link is very short. If you use a longer network cable for this, the station can be placed more centrally in the room, so that the WiFi range can be better matched to the shape of your house.

Where you place the master depends entirely on the length of the network cable and that could also be in the attic, for example.

Thick walls/ceilings with rebar and large iron objects can be a bummer for WiFi. A station next to a microwave or refrigerator is not optimal, because these often create a bad/blind spot.

If you use Wi-Fi to connect the stations, you should keep the distance between them as small as possible. The shorter the mutual distance, the better/faster the BH, which ultimately benefits your data speed. For example, you can place the stations directly above each other (per floor), in order to keep the mutual distance limited to a few meters.

Another topic is the number of stations. Many today are blind to maximum values, which can often only be achieved if you test on several devices at the same time and then add up the results. That is not really realistic and actually has little value. The maximum possible download is not necessary everywhere.

Eg in our house (ground floor, 1 floor and an attic, everything with thick concrete floors with reinforcing iron) the master is centrally located on the ground floor and hangs in the attic station number 2. I don't have number 3 and yet it is on the intermediate floor ( =1st floor ) more than enough signal to watch an internet movie without interruptions. Ultimately, it is not necessary to live in a 'Wi-Fi microwave' and the fewer WiFi stations, the better the WiFi stations that are present can work.

5 - Setup/Configuration: Once the drives are installed and connected, the set is ready for configuration. First turn off all stations. Then turn on the first station (= the master) and add it in the app. Then the other stations follow, the order of which is as follows: first all wired stations and then the Wi-Fi connected stations. Turn on a station and add it immediately. Repeat for all stations.

TP-Link hasfor Ziggo made a short manual. Whether you execute line 11 depends of course in which mode you are going to use the Deco set. This also applies to the remark regarding connection, in line 13.

You can of course alsothe installation film of TP-Link watch, then you will also see examples which makes the installation even easier.

Normally the first complete configuration of the Deco set is done within about 20 minutes. The clear and simple app. ( Android / Apple ) will take you through all the necessary steps.

When all stations have been added and you have chosen AP mode, only now set set to AP mode. Here you can see how.

If it turns out that you still want to adjust and/or change something important, then it is a matter ofthe entire set resetting/removing from the app, possibly resetting the stations again manually, turning everything off and then turning on the stations one by one, add the app again and the new setup will be active in no time.

After everything is installed and configured, you can start testing. You should take into account that the speed of your WiFi connection is slightly different than the download/upload speed of the internet. For example, your smartphone can best have 100% WiFi reception with 866 Mbps WiFi connection, but if you have a 50Mbps Ziggo internet subscription, the data throughput will of course never exceed 50Mbps.

If you have a Windows laptop, you can check the speed of the WiFi connection with the DOS/CMD command 'Netsh WLAN show interface'. Channels up to and including 13 are the 2.4GHz frequency band, higher channels are the 5GHz frequency. band. For example, for 2.4GHz Wi-Fi a 72Mbps is an excellent/fast connection, while for 5GHz 866 Mbps is the maximum. However, the last values ​​say nothing about the actual data throughput, because that also depends on your internet subscription, among other things.

6 -off Wi-Fi Turnon the ZMR. This is not necessary, but the Deco Mesh system ensures, among other things, that manual switching is no longer necessary when you walk through the house. However, if you leave WiFi on on the ZMR and your smartphone happens to be connected to it, then both try to maintain the connection until it completely collapses and in the meantime no bit more comes over. You have been suffering from a slow WiFi connection for a long time and buying this mesh WiFi set was the right thing to do to improve that.

If you want to continue to use the Wi-Fi on the ZMR for, for example, one device, you must delete that ZMR network on all other devices ("forget").

7 - Miscellaneous. This is a collection of all kinds of comments and facts.

-A TP-link manual can be found here .

-The Deco has an option with which you can switch the LEDs off/on at a time that you set yourself.

-It is possible to turn off the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band, but not both at the same time.

- Both WiFi bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) always have the same SSID/name.

-You can mix all types of Decos in/to one network, but the 'highest' type must always be the master. In this order: X60 > M9 Plus > X20/W3600 > P9 > P7 > M5/M1300 > M4R/E4R/W2400/AC1200 > S4.

-It is of course not mandatory to place all stations in 1 network. You can of course also split the set and make 2 or 3 separate networks.

-In case of 'strange' problems, alwaysthe entire set reset from the app and then manually reset the stations again before setting/configuring the set again.

-If you use the Deco as a router, set the connection type as 'Dynamic IP'

-IoT equipment (and 'cheap' IP equipment) sometimes have problems connecting to modern WiFi networks. This can be caused, among other things, because these often have limited setup/possibilities. Also, these devices sometimes (often) do not comply 100% with the standard or do not have the 'complete' hardware, which means that connecting to a modern Mesh network can sometimes be very difficult.

Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75177Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21923Likes

Ik weet te weinig van de Deco's, hue en smart home verbindingen.

Geen van deze hier in huis.

Dave!

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 23614Posts
  • 1050Oplossingen
  • 7505Likes

This are the examples

Schermafbeelding 2021-12-06 om 15.34.01.pngSchermafbeelding 2021-12-06 om 15.34.19.png

Dave!

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 23614Posts
  • 1050Oplossingen
  • 7505Likes

Ik heb Deco's en LSC Smart pluggen we gaan een poging proberen @Bert  komt goed 😉

Maud
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2197Posts
  • 230Oplossingen
  • 415Likes

@friz1983, did you read the answer of @Dave!? and how is it going right now?

Uitgelicht topic