Vraag
Reageer en help mee
gabrio81

Level 1
  • 27Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Erratic touchpad with Ethernet on ESB adapter connected to Ziggo modem, grounding issue?

hi,

I noticed something a bit odd on my laptop and the ziggo connection: in order to plug an ethernet i need to use an usb3 to ethernet gigabit adapter. i am experiencing errating behaviour with the mouse when i plug that adapter, i did a bit of search and found someone with the same problem, please see this article: (link: https://superuser.com/questions/275474/why-touchpad-glitches-when-ethernet-cable-is-connected...
superuser.com/questions/2754… also, could it be the power adapter of my router not grounded or something like that? the power outlet where the ziggo router is plugged is just a simple wall plug, the flatter types not the ones with the earth, it's the first time I see that in the Netherlands. we have on some plugs the earth but not on all plugs in this flat.

when the Ethernet is plugged, the laptops's touchpad starts glitching: can't move/press buttons, cursor is oscillating even when I don't move finger. or if i keep the finger on it will start moving oddly. If i unplug the adaptor and stay on wifi then it's back to normal.

my wife's laptop doesn't do it, mine does and it's a good ASUS.

Here's a clip showing the behaviour https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtd50nz94vmzdqp/Erratic%20Mouse%20over%20Ethernet%20Cable.mp4?dl=0

thanks,
Gabrio
10 Reacties 10
Anne H
Community Developer
Community Developer
  • 3866Posts
  • 225Oplossingen
  • 1576Likes
Hi gabrio81 welcome on our Community! This is a strange problem indeed. I think you are looking in the right direction. Chances are this is indeed a problem with grounding somewhere inside the laptop. Do you have the same issue when the adapter is plugged in without the ethernet cable? In case you might own a router or other network device you can test of connecting the Ethernet to that will result in the same issues.

In case this might be a modem issue we are very interested. However as we have never had any complaints before we will not start to scramble to fix it. Using wifi might be a practical solution in that case.
gabrio81
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 27Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes
Good question.....asus tech asked me the same and this is what happens:

Usb adapter only on the usb3 socket - fine

Usb adapter with ethernet but not in the router - fine

Usb + ethernet + router connection, crazy behaviour.

My laptop recently had a surgery for a battery issue and they had to re do few circuits but this is weird indeed.

The wall plug where the ziggo router is connected does not have earth, is one of those flat ones if you know what i mean.

On my wifes pc is fine though. Mine was ok back in germany with another router - fritzbox and with usb3 + hub + ethernet or usb + ethernet.

External mouse works perfect. I was thinking to open the laptop but not sure if its there the problem...

Strange isnt it? Thanks
gabrio81
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 27Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes
Also, when i plug the laptop to a electricity socket sometimes it sparks but it seems doing that from long time.
Anne H
Community Developer
Community Developer
  • 3866Posts
  • 225Oplossingen
  • 1576Likes
gabrio81 wrote:
Also, when i plug the laptop to a electricity socket sometimes it sparks but it seems doing that from long time.

Ai, this does not seem right. Please have the laptop checked to prevent fire and such.

gabrio81 wrote:
Good question.....asus tech asked me the same and this is what happens:

Usb adapter only on the usb3 socket - fine

Usb adapter with ethernet but not in the router - fine

Usb + ethernet + router connection, crazy behaviour.

Check, this is the test I meant.

My laptop recently had a surgery for a battery issue and they had to re do few circuits but this is weird indeed.

Did the issue occur before the surgery on our modem? Or did the issues come up after the surgery?

The wall plug where the ziggo router is connected does not have earth, is one of those flat ones if you know what i mean.

Certainly, as far as i know ground is not needed. The coax outer mantle is also a ground.
gabrio81
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 27Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes
Well i was not in the nethelands when the laptop had surgery. Back in germany all worked normally even after. The only test i can do is with the hub 3.0 which i have to order.

If you plug the socket on a multiplug and then turn on the switch on the multi, there is no spark. The spark is on the power adaptor not the laptop.

Only if the multi is already plugged. But then again i read of people experiencing that and even asus said that it can happen. My plug is an italian one, not the round schuko one, it fits anyway.

Thanks,
Gabrio
gabrio81
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 27Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes
https://superuser.com/questions/338263/is-it-normal-for-the-laptop-charger-to-spark-when-plugging-in

The spark you see is completely normal. The reason has nothing to do with 'in rush' current or capacitors. It has to do with inductance.

Multi-Episode Arcing

The spark you sometimes see is an electric arc and is caused by a large (often momentary) voltage jumping through the air between two conductors (often close together). Because the adapter is quickly filling up the capacitor and starting to transfer electricity to the laptop/battery, there is a moment where the voltage jumps pretty high. Because the contacts of the plug and outlet are so close together, this voltage is enough to jump through the air and cause the spark, but then everything (usually) evens out very quickly afterwards and levels return to normal.
Anne H
Community Developer
Community Developer
  • 3866Posts
  • 225Oplossingen
  • 1576Likes
Thanks 🙂 I still cannot draw the conclusion that our modem has a grounding issue, that route will not result in a solution I am affraid. Please test further and use wifi or a mouse.
gabrio81
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 27Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes
I cannot figure it out either, I just tried the ethernet cable provided with the ziggo box and tried port number 4 and same thing happens.

strange thing once I unplug it, the mouse will go crazy for a few more minutes, it really looks like static within the laptop.

thanks anyway,
Gabrio
Nick999

Level 17
  • 3918Posts
  • 225Oplossingen
  • 1081Likes
Try opening taskmanager (performance tab then resource monitor) when connected through ethernet and see what's happening to both the CPU and Harddisk load.
You might see the Harddisk load close to 100%
gabrio81
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 27Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes
it's really a mistery, I tried that, nothing out of the ordinary, tried safe mode, still jumpy and also I tried to put some WD 40 in the USB adaptor....I dont know what other tests to run now.

I want to order the usb3 hub and see if it makes any difference.

thanks,
Gabrio
E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic