Reacties
internetdude

Level 2
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Disable IPv6 only for a single device

Hi everyone!

I would like to disable IPv6 just for my android device.

I looked around, and it is not possible for me to achieve this in the android settings for my phone when using a wifi network (it is only possible for 4G)

So now I am wondering if there is any way to have the modem disable IPv6 just for a single device?

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Disabling and re-enabling Wi-Fi or activating airplane mode temporarily should suffice. Otherwise, you may have to reboot the modem.

Bekijk in context

8 Reacties 8
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

IPv6 cannot be disabled for a single device. As a workaround, you may set the DHCPv6 server operation mode to 'Stateful', this will cause the Android device to fall back to IPv4.

internetdude
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

@tobiastheebe thanks for your reply! could you please explain a little bit more? how would this work only for the android device? and IIUC it's a modem setting?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

In the default stateless operation mode, the DHCPv6 server on the modem's eRouter distributes additional configuration (e.g. DNS servers) only, while Router Advertisement distributes the /64 prefix (within the delegated /56 or /57 prefix), which devices construct their IPv6 addresses from. In the stateful operation mode, IPv6 addresses are distributed using DHCPv6 as well. Android does not support stateful DHCPv6 and will not be able to obtain an IPv6 address using this configuration, therefore the device will fall back to IPv4.

Random

Level 16
  • 2161Posts
  • 101Oplossingen
  • 1125Likes

@internetdude 

Set this in your Ziggo modem.

Guido64_0-1685457043732.png

internetdude
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Thanks, so I made this change.... now I wonder... what do I have to do so that my phone will forget its ipv6?

Basically it already has one so when I go to for example whatismyip.com it still shows the IPv6 IP it previously had... and it also shows still at test-ipv6.com

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Disabling and re-enabling Wi-Fi or activating airplane mode temporarily should suffice. Otherwise, you may have to reboot the modem.

internetdude
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Awesome - it worked - I had also restarted my phone and now IPv6 is no more! Thank you so much, have been trying to accomplish my goal for almost a year

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Glad I could help.

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic