Reacties
ian_segobio

Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Connectbox Giga vs. my company's VPN - Unusable

Hello all,

I'm a recent Ziggo customer, who just relocated to the Netherlands.

Before coming, I've been using the same laptop and the same VPN settings for almost 5 months. Back then, I was able to log into my company's VPN and perform the system administration flawlessly, with non-noticeable performance degradation.

Ever since I'm a Ziggo customer (1.000 Mbps plan) I can no longer manage the systems since, right after logging on to the VPN, the entire experience becames a nightmare. That is, the performance to interact with the systems is extremely slow. So much that it is almost indistinguishable from being completely stuck.

Aside from the terminal usage, other websites (my companies and public ones) also stop working correctly. They will remain loading for a while and then terminate with an HTTP error message.

On the other hand, if I try to use my mobile's hotspot it imediately works like before, confirming that the issue is most likely caused by how this modem (Connectbox Giga) is interacting with the VPN.

I am in dire need of help since I'm currently unable to perform my professional tasks and this was the reason I got the internet service in the first place.

Thank you very much in advance (and apologies for having went through my case directly in English, my Dutch still sucks ;D)

Ian Segobio.

Oplossingen

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Since the router is using a shared (CGNAT/AFTR) IP address, switching to an IPv4 Only configuration may improve VPN performance and stability.

A moderator (Ziggo employee) is able to perform this change and will visit this topic within 1-2 days.

Please fill out your address details on this page, these are visible to moderators only.

Bekijk in context

ian_segobio
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

I just had an outage. My wifi network vanished for some seconds. After a couple of minutes it came back, I logged on and tried navigating via VPN again...

Everything is working flawlessly. Thank you.

I'll just wait and keep monitoring for one more day but for all it seems, the issue is solved. Very nice!

Bekijk in context

17 Reacties 17
Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75187Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes

Looking for the cause, maybe its the configuration of the modem.

What are the first 6 digits of your external IPv4 address? What Is My IP? Quickly See My IP Address

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Unfortunately, the SmartWifi modem (Giga) is not well suited for VPN usage due to its implementation of the Intel Puma chipset, causing high latency and jitter. The UBC1318ZG, a modem designed for SMB environments, contains a different type of chipset (Broadcom) which does not exhibit this behavior.

Could you post one or more pictures of the AOP (main outlet in meter cupboard or living room) and cables, plus splitter(s) and signal amplifier, as applicable?

Additionally, could you post the modem’s downstream/upstream data according to these instructions?

ian_segobio
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hey, thanks for looking into it: 213.127.xxx.xxx

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Since the router is using a shared (CGNAT/AFTR) IP address, switching to an IPv4 Only configuration may improve VPN performance and stability.

A moderator (Ziggo employee) is able to perform this change and will visit this topic within 1-2 days.

Please fill out your address details on this page, these are visible to moderators only.

ian_segobio
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hey, it is done. All I need to do is wait now? Do you still need the answers to the previous questions?

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

The answers to the other questions will determine whether other potential issues (which may adversely affect internet connection performance and stability) exist.

ian_segobio
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Here are the modem stats. About your other topic, I do not quite get it. The slot/socket (AOP) is exactly the one mentioned at the modem documentation. There are no extra repeaters, splitters...

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Downstream and upstream values are all very good, however some uncorrectable errors have accumulated on the OFDM channel, these should be 0.

I asked the question to rule out coax problems. As far as I understand, the modem is directly connected to a btv 01-SET or TRISZ-DG300 AOP outlet?

ian_segobio
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

It is connected to a box just like this one:

Jamyla
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5792Posts
  • 685Oplossingen
  • 2412Likes

Goodmorning @ian__segobio

I've changed the settings to IPv4 which will be ready within 24 hours. @tobiastheebe will help you further if you still need any support 🙂

ian_segobio
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

Hey, noted. Will a modem restart be required?

Jamyla
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 5792Posts
  • 685Oplossingen
  • 2412Likes

Doesn't have to. But if you don't see any changes yet after 24 hours, then we advice you to reboot. @ian_segobio

ian_segobio
Topicstarter
Level 2
  • 7Posts
  • 1Oplossingen
  • 2Likes

I just had an outage. My wifi network vanished for some seconds. After a couple of minutes it came back, I logged on and tried navigating via VPN again...

Everything is working flawlessly. Thank you.

I'll just wait and keep monitoring for one more day but for all it seems, the issue is solved. Very nice!

metekoc

Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hello;

I’m experiencing the exact same problem from time to time while using my company’s VPN while working from home.

Can you also help me on my case?

Dank je well!

Lotte
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2761Posts
  • 400Oplossingen
  • 976Likes

Goodmorning @metekoc, yes sure! Can you add your zipcode and housenumber to your Ziggo Community account? Then I will make sure you will recieve IPV4 only. 

metekoc

Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Hello Lotte;

Thank you very much for the reply. I just updated my adress info in my profile.

Could you let me know when it’s done?

Thanks a lot.

Lotte
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 2761Posts
  • 400Oplossingen
  • 976Likes

@metekoc No problem, it's done 🙂 Enjoy your day! 

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic