Reacties
matemaciek

Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Connectbox Giga configuration bugs

Hello

This is a second day I’m fighting with Connectbox Giga and I wonder is it my device, or is its software just buggy and very narrow featured? Some of the problems I’ve encountered:

• Changing names and icons for connected devices works only for some devices, for other changing its name actually changes the name assigned to other device
  • Disabling DHCP server resulted in being locked out of Connectbox’s interface, as it didn’t asked DHCP server existing in network for new IP
  • I don’t see an option of setting local DNS address announced by Connectbox’s DHCP. Is it possible?

I’d like to use another host in my network as a DHCP and DNS server, while keeping Connectbox as gateway and WiFi AP. This setup was possible with Mediabox XL.

Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes
  • Disabling DHCP server resulted in being locked out of Connectbox’s interface, as it didn’t asked DHCP server existing in network for new IP

If you disable the CB’s built-in DHCP server and no other DHCP server assigning addresses in the same subnet is active (yet), you must set up a static IP address on your PC if you would like to access the CB’s web interface.

• I don’t see an option of setting local DNS address announced by Connectbox’s DHCP. Is it possible?

As far as I know, custom DNS suffix for LAN devices is not an available option on the CB.

If your DHCP server offers the following configuration to devices it should work (this assumes the server is on 192.168.178.2):

IP Address Scope: 192.168.178.3-192.168.178.254 (you may use other values for the last octet, just make sure not to use .1, .2 and .255)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (CIDR /24)

Gateway: 192.168.178.1

DNS Server (Primary): 213.46.228.196 (Ziggo) or (your preferred server)

DNS Server (Secondary): 62.179.104.196 (Ziggo) or (your preferred server)

If you would like to use local DNS lookups, use these DNS servers:

DNS Server (Primary): 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.178.2

DNS Server (Secondary): 213.46.228.196 (Ziggo) or (your preferred server)

Bekijk in context

9 Reacties 9
tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

If you disable the CB’s built-in DHCP server and no other DHCP server assigning addresses in the same subnet is active (yet), you must set up a static IP address on your PC if you would like to access the CB’s web interface.

As far as I know, custom DNS suffix for LAN devices is not an available option on the CB.

If your DHCP server offers the following configuration to devices it should work (this assumes the server is on 192.168.178.2):

IP Address Scope: 192.168.178.3-192.168.178.254 (you may use other values for the last octet, just make sure not to use .1, .2 and .255)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (CIDR /24)

Gateway: 192.168.178.1

DNS Server (Primary): 213.46.228.196 (Ziggo) or (your preferred server)

DNS Server (Secondary): 62.179.104.196 (Ziggo) or (your preferred server)

If you would like to use local DNS lookups, use these DNS servers:

DNS Server (Primary): 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.178.2

DNS Server (Secondary): 213.46.228.196 (Ziggo) or (your preferred server)

matemaciek
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 1Likes

Thanks, I was trying to change network offered by CB to 192.168.130.0/24, it even allowed me, and said it will be available in new network, but after reboot it went back to 192.168.178.0/24. I’ll configure my DHCP as you described, thanks!

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

If you would like to use a custom subnet, your best option would be to use your own router and configure the CB to run in bridge mode, making it operate solely as a modem. This will allow you to use other subnet sizes as well. If you are in an fUPC area, you can configure bridge mode by yourself. In this case, you will need a router with built-in WiFi AP or a separate AP.

Tijnz

Level 1
  • 18Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Can I add to this?
The old connectbox let me change the subnet. My internal network is 192.168.2 with some devices with fixed ip and a dhcp server setup for that subnet.

With the old connectbox. you just change the DHCP server to the new subnet. Defaulting the ip of the old connectbox to .1 in that subnet which is fine

The GIGA first says: beware, this will change the router ip to the 192.168.2.1

Fine, that’s what I want, the old connectbox had the same IP.
After some tries, it just goes back to 192.168.178.1. Then it says the subnet is already in use internally?? Somehow it kicks me out, I can’t login anymore because there is already a session? Wtf. The old connectbox felt like a Fisher Price toy, but this is even worse.

Now I’ve changed my internal network to 192.168.178.1 I’ll change the fixed ip’s of my ESXi server and other devices the next days. But what guarantee is there that 192.168.2.0 will be available if I set the modem to bridged and buy my own router? It keeps saying that 192.168.2.0 is already in use by the modem.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

Configuring the Connect Box to operate in bridge mode will disable all of its functions except the cable modem and telephony gateway (MTA). It will still run the web server, albeit at a different IP address (192.168.100.1) and with heavily reduced functionality.

Bridge mode will pass all traffic transparently through the modem, and it is up to you to configure all subsequent settings on your personal router. Furthermore, it will enable you to use a private subnet of any class/CIDR on the router. You will not be restricted to using 192.168.178.0/24.

Another option is adding your personal router’s WAN IP address (make sure to use a static address or static DHCP lease) to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) of the Connect Box. In this case, the CB will continue to operate as a router, switch and WiFi AP. It will allow unrestricted internet access to/from the DMZ device and will pass all open/forwarded ports (if present) on this device to the WAN IP address of the CB. Without DMZ, you would have to configure all firewall/port forwarding rules twice, on both devices.

The Connect Box’s web server is very basic and has a limit of one active user session. Attempting to log in to the device using a new session (i.e. when attempting to change the LAN subnet) without logging off of the old session, will result in an error. This can only be resolved quickly by power cycling the device or by waiting until the old session expires.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Tijnz

Level 1
  • 18Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

One additional question here. I feel I’m adding to the thread instead of hijacking, so correct me if I’m wrong.

Changing the Modem to bridged, seems to be possible from the webinterface. However the official link https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/wifi/modem/bridge-modus does not mention any connectbox, which leaves you to ‘other’ and says I will have to contact support.

I would prefer to be able to test this out myself. Switching to Bridged and back at will.
Is that possible without contacting support? (the weblink might need some love from Ziggo itself in that case, which I’m aware, is outside of the scope of the forum).

Thank you in advance.

tobiastheebe

Level 20
T.E.A.M.
  • 31066Posts
  • 2181Oplossingen
  • 15502Likes

You will need to find out whether you are in an fZiggo (orange) or fUPC (blue) area using the map below.

If you are in fUPC, enabling/disabling bridge mode can be performed through the Connect Box’s web interface. If you are in fZiggo, enabling/disabling bridge mode must be performed by the Ziggo helpdesk.

Tijnz

Level 1
  • 18Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 4Likes

Check, thanks. Hope all this info also helps other people!

Vincent
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 4352Posts
  • 574Oplossingen
  • 2127Likes

Hi @matemaciek and welcome on the Ziggo Community. There are some childhood diseases with the Giga Connectbox. We will improve the firmware and fix as many bugs in our new update. When it will be released, is unfortunately not clear. Hopefully are all those tips from our members and experts usefull for in the meantime  !

E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic