gtaylor

Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Moca Connection not working

Hi

My Nederlands is not so good, so please excuse the English!

I am trying to get a reliable (wired) internet signal to the far side of our house (bedrooms). I have purchased 2 x Hirschmann 1G MoCa adapters, however I can't get my PC in the bedroom to recognize an IP address. This is the current setup:

Living Room: 

Wall Socket (Coax) to splitter »  from splitter, 1 Coax to the ConnectBox modem, 1 Coax to the MediaBox

Ethernet Cable from ConnectBox Modem  to Smart TV (and HDMI from TV to Mediabox)

Ethernet Cable from ConnectBox to MoCA Adapter

Coax from MoCA back into wall socket

Bedroom:

Wall socket to MOCA adapter

MOCA adapter to network switch

Network switch to wireless extender

Network switch to PC

Is there any reason why this isn't working? Have I done something wrong? At first I thought it might be my ConnectBox not being able to issue multiple IP addresses, but I can 't seem to log in to my router and I don't know if my ConnectBox is able to do this.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gavin

4 Reacties 4
DennyW

Level 17
  • 3150Posts
  • 251Oplossingen
  • 921Likes

@gtaylor 

Hi Gavin,

Welcome on this forum

Both the Moca Units connected using a splitter. That may be the problem. The attenuation of a splitter between the input side and one of the outputs is approximately 3.7dB, but the attenuation between both the outputs is much, much higher, so it's possible that the Moca units are having problems “seeing” each other.

There is a kind of work-a-round that for those situations That might help (no guaranties). You can connect a splitter backwards. I.e. : let one output site become the input and connect both the Moca units on the remaining output and (former) input. You have to chance M/F connectors to make it all fit.

DennyW

gtaylor
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 2Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Thank you DennyW for the reply!

Here is a diagram of how it is setup right now (the ethernet lights on the MoCA are both lighting up). When I tried the suggestion you gave, my PC just said that an ethernet cable is now unplugged (and that it can’t assign an IP address)

The left shows the wall where the system starts (the box with ‘F’ and ‘M’) and the Router is also my modem. There is only one splitter - that is in the wall. On the other side I have a network switch but it is after the MoCA adapter. My next step is to try plug the ethernet straight into the PC but i don’t think that will make any difference.

Thanks for your help so far!

DennyW

Level 17
  • 3150Posts
  • 251Oplossingen
  • 921Likes

@gtaylor 

The splitter in the wall is’t a normal splitter. One output is for FM-radio (UHF) and the other is for television reception. I think you can’t use both outputs of such a wall socket for your purpose.The Moca unit in the living room should be placed in the coax connection witches leads to the Mediabox.
In your diagram you don’t mention the splitter that must be between the wall socket in the living room and the bedroom. That’s the splitter a was talking about.

Paul
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
  • 19180Posts
  • 1373Oplossingen
  • 7281Likes

Good afternoon @gtaylor  and welcome to the Community,

Too bad that the internetconnections doesn't work as intended in the current setup! I'm not really familiar with the MoCa Ethernet (Coax to Network) adapters from Hirschmann, but on the diagram I notice you connected this device to the Radio connection of the Ziggo wallmount. I don't know whether this will work or not. 

My guess that the easiest way for getting internet everywhere in your house is using a Powerline adapter or the Wifibooster via powerline. You connect Wifibooster A to a powersocket next to the modem and Wifibooster B on a powersocket where you wish to have another wireless and wired internetconnection. 

We offer Wifiboosters on our website. You can choose to buy it or rent it. The Wifibooster via netwerkcable is € 1,- each month and the Wifibooster via powerline is € 2,-. On this page you'll find more information about this.

Uitgelicht topic