Vraag
Reacties
giacecco

Level 1
  • 3Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

Intermittent ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED with most websites

Since a few days ago I've started getting intermittent ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED errors when browsing the web from both Chrome on my Mac and my iPhone. Sometimes the error is very explicit - web pages don't load at all - some others more subtle - only some components fail loading, e.g. the JavaScript or CSS files, or some images. Reloading the page fixes the issue most often, but not always.

I'm using Ziggo's router (hardware version 5.01) through WiFi - I have no ethernet ports on my devices - with no added complications (e.g. WiFi extenders). I haven't changed anything since it was working fine. The software version reported by the router is CH7465LG-NCIP-4.50.18.23-4m2-GA-NOSH.

The problem may seem trivial but it can be crippling. E.g. imaging risking losing your data every time you submit a form. It's a russian roulette.

Please help or suggest what to do to debug the issue further.
Oplossing

Geaccepteerde oplossingen
Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75177Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes
OK IPv6 does not fall back to IPv4 if there is no connection possible.

Ask Ziggo to put your modem in IPv4 only.

You can contact Ziggo through the chat or in a different way on the contact page.
The chat box (to be used 24 hours a day / 365 days a year) is automatic placed in the middle of the screen or at the bottom right of the page below, only if someone is available.
https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/contact

Bekijk in context

15 Reacties 15
Zpiep

Level 1
  • 725Posts
  • 3Oplossingen
  • 65Likes
You can do some online connection tests

Here only 2 links a lot more on the web
http://en.conn.internet.nl/connection/

http://ipv6-test.com/
giacecco
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 3Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
Thanks Zpiep your tests seem to focus on IP6 but I don't think that is the problem. For the little I know, the intermittent nature of the issue suggests something more dependent on routing for example.

In fact most times the test at http://ipv6-test.com/ passes, however every now and then I get more something that looks like in the screenshot below. Fallback and DNS6+IP4 fail where they normally succeed. However I do not think it is because there actually is no fallback etc. It is just by chance that at that moment in time the connection failed.

Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75177Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes

You can contact Ziggo through the chat or in a different way on the contact page.
The chat box (to be used 24 hours a day / 365 days a year) is automatic placed in the middle of the screen or at the bottom right of the page below, only if someone is available.
https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/contact
Zpiep

Level 1
  • 725Posts
  • 3Oplossingen
  • 65Likes
I think the ds-lite option that Ziggo Uses or pay for is sometimes to indefinite . overbelast
to busy.

They try to get those as cheap as possible after to much complains high pings gamers and so on they buying reserve more of that services.

Don't know it is Ziggo network, but such is common :disappointed:

Also Ziggo Support is then depending on the solution switching Modem and software back to full IP4 only

Hell i hate that carier grade ds-lite stuff , if it works you never know wen it stops working or becomes unreliable

It could be the cause of your problem.
DS-lite carier grade "means" you share that type of connection with sometimes a lot of others.

Other cause could be something with very bad slow wifi, therefor search the web for some wifi diagnose test apps
hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes
giacecco
It's clear that you encounter problems with your connectivity.
Athough I can't be sure without some tests, I guess that -when in trouble- you can reach IPv6-IPv4 Dual Stack Sites like www.google.com and not IPv4-only sites like www.ziggo.nl. Most Sites are IPv4-only.
Of so then you have problems with your IPv4 connectivity.

Thanks for the picture of the Ipv6 test.
I never saw this from someone that uses IPv6 DS-Lite Firmware, like you.
Browser Fallback = no is in my opinion not a bad sign in your test case. Not really sure about this.
You have an IPv6 Connection with the test Site.
I think the Site tries to test the IPv4 address you seem to have.
But this IPv4 address is not in use for the Connection you made with the test Site. So: no falback detected.
It is an IPv4 address of the CGNAT (ake AFTR) Server your Router is communicating with over an IPv6-only Connection.
(IPv4 traffic is encapsulated in this IPv6 Connection)
This IPv4 address is not an external address of your Router, and is shared with other users of the CGNAT.
This address only comes into operation for you when an IPv4 Connection is necessary from your LAN.

I think that this kind of operation fails when needed, if my guess is right that you can only make IPv6 Connections to the outside world when things go wrong.
This indicates intermittent improper functioning of the CGNAT - DS-Lite combination.

You may possibly solve the problem by a factory reset of the ConnectBox.
https://community.ziggo.nl/internetverbinding-102/hoe-zet-ik-mijn-modem-terug-naar-de-fabrieksinstellingen-2945
It's in Dutch, but you definitely will find your way.

Regards Han
Zpiep

Level 1
  • 725Posts
  • 3Oplossingen
  • 65Likes
Yup Han explained,

When the service has problems you notice also mostly slow loading. ( time outs and so)
Then this causes such with ds-lite cariere grade, they have to pay / buy more capacity for that part then in your route... ( coudl be still somewhere else but the carier grade ds=lite is "famous" for slowing down... with such specially under Gamers)
I think the ds-lite option that Ziggo Uses or pay for is sometimes to indefinite . overbelast
to busy.

These probs with IPv4 only sites and mostly also their name servers IPv4 only .

hanh he doesn't have the problem all the time so intermittent. ( uh denk wel dat je dat gezien hebt, de ipv6 en gaat soms wel geheel goed uit die test bedoel ik)

Please try if that result from ipv6... com the Hamburger Menu upper right side ( score) and show us that result to. Give's some explanation about the results

The speed and ping test buttons under More from that site do also ipv6 and ipv4 and gives info about slow ...

hanh is it possible to see as enduser somewhere in the connectbox when Ziggo or connection changed / updated firmware, of changed IP
giacecco
Topicstarter
Level 1
  • 3Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
Be rt wrote:

It looks like that made the trick. Since yesterday, after asking Ziggo to switch the setting, I haven't experienced the issue any more. Thanks Be rt and all the others who explained what was happening!
Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75177Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes
Great news, I wish you happy internet.:relaxed:
Zpiep

Level 1
  • 725Posts
  • 3Oplossingen
  • 65Likes
@all This is now working great, they solved your connection. With a workarround as expected from the startopic and my reply on that to test those.

But didn.t and don't solve the real problem caussing this as they should so meaning getting a IPv6 connection without problems.

For all that could live with Ipv4 modem and connection only that is OK, but it is old and not realy future friendly.

Also as id did write above, the IPv6 as they are given Custommers for now is not reliable or to slow and so on.
Custommers has then already problems sometimes for longer times if they are not aware of this ( leken enz). and faulty / slow things are already there for how long?

So a bad service that kind of IPv6 ?

This is not offtopic , but again a proof of the weak IPv6 ds-lite from Ziggo and yup only workarround for it to switch to IPv4, not solving the real problem behind it.:wink:

giacecco keep this in mind if you are going to use (more) IOT devices when needed IPv6
hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes
@-all

In my experience with other cases that seemed to have the same problem, Ipv4 Firmware was the only solution.

What in my opinion should have been done in a case like this is:

• analyze the problem; there could be just something wrong with a device in the Local Network (not the case here, seems to me)
  • alert a Mod to participate as soon as it's quite clear it is a failure of the running IPv6 Firmware; the purpose of this is that he can report such an issue with a Ticket to technical people.

To my regret no real attempt was done in this direction.
We even dont know for sure, whether it was an IPv4-only Connection problem or not, like I suggested earlier. No tests were done to confirm this hypothesis.

However, I'm pretty sure that IPv4 Firmware was the only workaround here.

And yes, sometimes there are weird problems with DS-Lite (or the external CGNAT that supports DS-Lite). But we are not able to solve them fast just for a particular case.
The only sensible action you can take is to feed Ziggo with info about IPv6 Firmware failures. For better or for worse.

Han
Zpiep

Level 1
  • 725Posts
  • 3Oplossingen
  • 65Likes
hanh a bit the same as my post trying to.

BUT is it possible for Ziggo to read and see log files info / modem for such problems and do they see then..... ?
While if not it makes for me no sense to make their Custommers themselves a kind of testcase without them knowing this.
And also getting the errors they aren't expecting such and time waisting for solving in such cases.

This is as I see the ds-lite Ziggo for now.:wink:
Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75177Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes
Fortunately moderators read this and can look in to it in the course of time and can bring it, with the example graphic, to the right people in the background.
A moderator who is specialized in this subject is unfortunately not always immediately accessible an it can take a few working days, this quick solution to make it possible to use the internet was the fastest way.
hanh

Oud Community-lid
  • 17054Posts
  • 661Oplossingen
  • 3463Likes
Be rt OK & I hope so. The discussion about DS-Lite will not end tomorrow. Have no problem with that, and we definitely agree it should work better.
We're just trying to do the best for the customer. Both of us, I can assure you:wink:
Zpiep

Level 1
  • 725Posts
  • 3Oplossingen
  • 65Likes
Be rt wrote:
Fortunately moderators read this and can look in to it in the course of time and can bring it, with the example graphic, to the right people in the background.
A moderator who is specialized in this subject is unfortunately not always immediately accessible an it can take a few working days, this quick solution to make it possible to use the internet was the fastest way.

Is this still possible after changing Firmware for IPv4 only?
And maybe also a reset they could have...
Bert

Level 21
T.E.A.M.
  • 75177Posts
  • 5145Oplossingen
  • 21925Likes
Zpiep As far as my experience goes, with new essential systems in networks at providers, everything will be monitored and logged from A to Z to be able to reproduce issues if something happens.
But there is no provider who tells how it works with all ins and outs, not even a little bit.
And people who have ever seen this at various providers are heavily bound to secrecy.
E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic