Beantwoord

Frequent but short internet outages, poor modem signal

• Ontdekker
  • 4 reacties
Hello!
We've been having recurring problems with internet outages, mostly lasting 5-15 minutes but sometimes hours or more. Often by the time I call through to tech support it's already working again. I've called several times but no one seems to be able to get through to the root cause of this issue.

The modem is in bridge mode. During the outage, the modem still thinks the connection is OK (all LEDs normal). If I load the DOCSIS status page however, I see that the downstream SNR has dropped and the upstream power levels are significantly higher when the connection is down. T3 timeout counter and correctables / uncorrectables are growing rapidly.

Here is what the status page looks like when I have no connectivity:

and 10 minutes later, it's working fine again:

If I reboot the modem during the outage, it gets stuck at acquiring US until the signal is back to normal.

Here's a graph showing my connection stability this morning - there have been three of these short outages so far (times are UTC).

Sometimes the modem requires a reboot before the connection is restored, but usually it comes back by itself. The modem is connected to the standard two way splitter supplied by Ziggo, on the other outlet is the TV, no other devices / spitters anywhere.

Any idea what I should be looking at? Does the drop in SNR and increased upstream power level indicate an issue on the cable network itself?
icon

Best beantwoord door Jonathan-458 20 november 2017, 17:23

Dear @RandR,

Okey, unfortunately you still seem to be having issues though so I think its time to request a Ziggo Network Technician.

Yours sincerely,

Bekijk origineel

10 Reacties

Reputatie 3
Badge +8
Dear @RandR,

Do these problems persist after connecting your modem directly to the incoming antenna socket (AOP) without splitters or amplifiers with a closed loop cable? Also make sure to check with 2 cables.

If the problem is no longer present after using a direct connection, replace splitter or cables and check again.

If these problem persist, contact Ziggo and request them to run diagnostics and check if their recorded network outages are in line with your logs and if they can not be explained by regional/national outages or maintenance, request a Network Technician.

Yours sincerely,
Thanks for the advice. I will try to make a direct connection next time it happens and see if it's able to connect that way, or at least get a reading of the SNR and power levels. The coaxial cable and splitter are brand new from Ziggo though so I would hope they are in good working order. It also doesn't explain why most of the time it's working fine, if the cable or splitter were bad I would expect problems all the time.

I've had a technician scheduled once, but by the day he would come the connection was working fine. I cancelled the visit as there would be nothing to see and I would probably be charged 40 Euro! It's rarely down for more than an hour so it's very difficult to arrange someone to check it while it's failing.
Reputatie 3
Badge +8
Dear @RandR,

Sometimes disruption can be very difficult to troubleshoot, because the problem is not always present, as in your case.

However a good ziggo network technician checks your line from both sides & also checks the network distribution point and its history and stability. And often can pinpoint the problem.

Also the amount of T3 & T4 errors is too high, even on a monthly basis.

You will only have to pay if the problem is related to inhouse coax material, thats why i first suggest a direct connect between Ziggo incoming antenna socket and Modem.

Yours sincerely,
Reputatie 2
Badge +4
@RandR, do your neighbours also experience signal issues with associated T3/T4 errors?

Regards, Henno
I was able to use a Ziggo Wifispot while our connection was down, so I don't think neighbours are experiencing the same issue (or their modem is able to handle the bad signal better?). I will try to find out though.
Since my last post everything has been fine. Unfortunately the connection went down this morning and has yet to come back online (hopefully when I get home and do another modem reset it will come back). Our neighbors are also reporting problems. The TV signal has also been glitchy, showing corruption or the "check your signal" message occasionally.
Reputatie 3
Badge +8
@RandR
Not sure if in your case today was an individuel issue, there was a very big disruption today, allot of customers had a signal outage for atleast 4, including me.
Welcome at our Community, @RandR. Thank you for keeping us up to date. Let us know when the problems are still holding on. At our 'Storingschecker' page you could check if there are known issues in our network. If not, you should check your signal as Jonathan-458 and your television said.
@jonathan-458 it does seem the big outage was the cause of the issues on my last post.

Unfortunately today I have had two more 5-15 minute outages. Neither were listed on storingschecker. I am beginning to think something is wrong with the connection to the whole building, as neighbors are complaining of internet issues too.

Reputatie 3
Badge +8
Dear @RandR,

Okey, unfortunately you still seem to be having issues though so I think its time to request a Ziggo Network Technician.

Yours sincerely,

Reageer

Inloggen
    Niet gevonden wat je zocht? Vind meer topics